Monday, October 26, 2009

Appliqué? Me?

Now I don't want to scare y'all with my amazing skills. LOL. Right, huh? I hear the laughter all the way here in Alabama.

Anyway, I decided that I had to at least TRY a bit of appliqué. So, while I was making the framed squares (see yesterday's post) I realized that I didn't have enough variety in the strips to make it work. So I remembered a layer cake that MATCHED the jelly roll. (I won those somewhere! Thanks!) I took a couple of layer cake squares and cut them down to 9x9. Added a border of jelly roll strips and called it done.

Oops, my muse did NOT approve. So I took a couple of charm squares, folded and ironed the edges under and went to The Baby to sew. (Uh, The Baby is my wonderful machine.) I put the charm in the approximate middle of the square. Then I did a blanket stitch around the edges. But the fact is as simple as it is, it IS appliqué, isn't it?

Well, I checked Wikipedia for the answer to that. YES IT IS:
Wikipedia says "In the context of sewing, applique refers a needlework technique in which pieces of fabric, embroidery, or other materials are sewn onto another piece of fabric to create designs, patterns or pictures."

Yay, I appliqué!

See:





Since Greg asked- I am sure I will appliqué again. Most likely the next time I will try something a bit "edgier" and more complex than a square. I have seen a pattern with circles appliquéd on it. I could do that now!

11 comments:

Greg said...

Its about time you tried appliqué. Will you continue with it or will you abandon it like a sinking ship?

Tangos Treasures said...

Tee hee I love it!! Great colors too!!

Anonymous said...

In spite of yourself, it looks like applique to me -- very nice!

JustCindy said...

Yep, looks like applique'. Applique' by machine is not hard and fun fun fun.

Pat said...

Looks good...congrats on learning a new technique!

Needled Mom said...

It's good for the mind to try new techniques (or so I hear). It looks great.

Barb said...

i love applique and you did good...one more thing to add to your resume!!

Unknown said...

look at you, I'm so proud of my boy. lmao

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Now you are really going to open a lot of new doors with that applique'. I love it..hope you do to.

Pat

PS is baby going to get a name?

Micki said...

I love the quilt! I just found your blog, and I love your art quilts...very beautiful! You would be wonderful doing applique...give it a shot! I really enjoy it, and it adds so much to a quilt! I am really enjoying reading your blog from here in Ireland.
Micki

Carin said...

I think it qualifies as applique! Great job.