Saturday, March 06, 2010

Lazy Saturday

What a lovely day!  The sun is shining, the temperature is reasonable (66° F) and my world is peaceful.   I don't have a project "going" and wasn't ready to start one.  Well okay, I did have one, but it required a trip to buy fabric and I didn't want to do that today.   So I decided to sort out some pieces of fabric that I have in a tote bag.  I found THESE --Don't the colors make you think SPRING TIME?















These are bits of fabric that were cut from the edges of a pieced backing.  Now truthfully, these are what is left NOW.  There were more.  I love bright colors. Did you know that?  Ha ha.   I also love making scrappy quilts.  --sure you probably knew that too--    Needless to say, I couldn't bear to throw them away.  (and you probably already know I am a packrat too, didn't ya?)  So they were in the bag wrapped in some larger pieces that  will be used later.    I decided to make some very wonky, not exactly right, log cabin blocks.  (My inner Gee's Bend is showing, huh?)  My buddy said, "But they aren't square, they won't square up!"  Ha ha...do you think that bothers me? Silly Rabbit!  Of course not.  I can add a bit more later and square it up.















Then, I had more strips left -and I was getting bored with matching sizes to make the blocks - so I started making strip strata.  Somewhere down the line this will go into a project and really sparkle.













Now, The moral of the story is this:  If you love the fabrics you made the piece from, and you have interesting pieces left over,  don't just toss them.  Save them for a day of nearly mindless fun and see what you come up with.  You can really free up your creativity this way.

12 comments:

ooglebloops said...

I love those log cabin blocks- the colors are perfect for the not exactly square shapes!!!This will turn into something fabulous I know!!!

Barb said...

Love it all....and you know I love color...

luv2quilt2 said...

I know it will be great when it's done, and it is so springy!

FabricFascination said...

I finished a project today too, and need to start our taxes, (uugh) which I've been putting off. So a lazy Saturday here too. Love Spring, my favorite!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

love them all!

Pat said...

I love all those colors!!! Good job of making something out of what many would have called NOTHING!!!

Rhonda said...

Gene, those are great colors which would look great in a fractured diamond.....I had to throw that in......LOL.....glad you're enjoying the sun...I am, too. It's about 70 here and I'm delighted.
Take care.

Joanne Lendaro said...

They look fantastic, like spring! Bring on Spring!! I am soooo ready!

Tangos Treasures said...

Awesome!! Very creative!

eva said...

I absolutely LOVE this!!

xo
eva

sewfunquilts said...

Great ideas from a great, creative mind! Thanks for sharing this simple idea.

Anonymous said...

Have been away on a short trip and am just catching up, saw this post about bright wonkedy-placed colors. Not surprising, and as always,
lovely!