Monday, June 07, 2010

UFO - found and finished!

I believe I told someone the only UFOs I have are the two quilts I am avoiding working on.  I was w-r-o-n-g!
I was working in my ironing room and actually looking for a specific piece of fabric. (yes it is in most of the rooms in the house - gimme a break - is yours all neatly stored? Hmmm?  didn't think so! or else you have too much time on your hands. )

I found a nice pieced beginning for a table topper that I made back in February.  I had finished the piecing and posted about it and then it sneaked off and hid on me.  I had almost forgotten it until I worked on the Moose On the Porch Jelly Roll Quilt Along block today.  My block looks like this:

You see, I decided to use some Neptune honey bun strips in this, rather than cutting jelly roll strips to 1.5
The table runner used strips from that same honey bun. I guess that prompted the pieced top to appear. Who knows?  I will just say "serendipity!"
By the way, Barb posted a TUTORIAL for piecing this if you want to make one of your very own. 
So I cut a piece for the back and the batting and sat down and sewed.  I didn't want to do a binding, so I sewed it "escape hatch" style and turned it and used topstitching to close the open edge and also finish all the edges. Here it  is draped over the back of my recliner. It looks pretty nice there, don't ya think? But the problem with a leather recliner is nothing stays there. it just slips and slides off. 



And here it is laying in the seat with the edge flipped over so you can see what I chose to back it with. A nice GREEN fabric. (see Tonya, I do use green!)  



I think if the top was just too busy with something else on the table, it could be flipped to the simple green fabric for a more "plain" look. I haven't quilted it yet.  I am debating just how or IF I will do it. 

So that is what I did today.  I am not mentioning the "other" cutting I did. I have been accused of rubbing it in about that cutter. ( by Pat  and Nancy)  heheheheee How is that for "not" mentioning it? 

And - I finally figured out what that blogger background image problem I had.  Would you believe it was a "gadget" that put the background image on the page?  It was, and it is gone now!


Edit:  All the grief I am catching about my "ironing room" Sheeesh, I have the ironing board in a bedroom that functions as storage, music room (my little keyboard is there) junk room, and yes, ironing room.  I wish I had lots of space but I just have to make do.  Trust me, it is nothing grand!
PS...I would bet Nancy has all her fabric folded on little mini bolts and on shelves in a closet. 

12 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

You really jumped right on that new block for the Jelly Roll quilt along. I took the drawing to my sewing room, and put it on the box with all the other finished blocks - and that's as far as I got. I love the colors you're using.

Pat said...

Now...first of all, it was NANCY who said you were rubbing it in and I just happened to agree with her!!! And.....you have a room just dedicated to IRONING? You said you were in your "ironing room". Geesh...either you have WAY too much ironing OR you have a house that is way bigger than you need it to be!!! LOL Oh, yes, the runner did turn out nice.

Nancy said...

yea, what is this with an IRONING ROOM AND a GO CUTTER.... gee...is there anything else you would like to confess? like, oh I don't know..you are related to sewing royalty or you won the lottery .... And just how many rooms do you have with fabric in them???? Huh...
I do however like the green backing to the table runner...

Nancy said...

OMG...you have PEEKED into my sewing room? How dare you!!

I do have all my fabric in the closet.. and my ironing board is one of those BIG BOARDS.. HA HA... it's HUGE and yes...size DOES MATTER...

Rhonda said...

Gene, I don't think I've ever heard of "escape hatch" before....it took me awhile to figure out what you meant.....Got it now!!!!
I call it birthing a quilt but that's the old Ele. Burnes wording.

Barb said...

Hey, love your runner.....

I won't pick on you, seems like everyone else is having fun at your expense...so I will ease up today...only today!!

Patty said...

My ironing room is the kitchen, and I get accused of leaving it up in the middle of the room, so of course it gets used as an extra counter. Alas,I'm not nearly as lucky as you are to have my own ironing/ music room. :^)

Anonymous said...

nice, post but i expecting UFO picture,...

sewfunquilts said...

jeez! what fun u r having with things! I...sigh...wd be having fun too...if I could win the GO from Barb.....sigh!

vote for me! http://bejeweledquilts.blogspot.com/2010/06/what-stressful-daywaitingand-waitingand.html

Linda in Calif. said...

I hopped over here from In Stitches. I will say my fabric is all nice and sorted. But that is only becasue I just finished cleaning up my room last week, which I guess I should start calling my Ironing Room. I like that sound of that! LOL!!

Susan said...

I've dropped by to say an Aussie hello, from Spring Fever Bingo!!

Yours is the second blog I've seen talking about a GO Cutter. Not something I can afford right now, after my husband and son's two months overseas, which you can catch a few snippets about on my blog (starting in April) if you're interested.

Anyway I'm a patient person, so one day a GO Cutter may end up in my direction!!

Regards,

Elizabeth said...

I love your Moose on the Porch jelly roll block. Lovely colors! And the table runner is really nice!

Oh, and I love hearing about your 'go' cutter! That is totally awesome that you are putting it to so much good use!