Thursday, March 13, 2008

My First PFP Quilt Square


My First PFP Quilt Square
Originally uploaded by GeneBlack
Quilting is an art form I am ready to try. Both of my grandmothers were quilters. I like family traditions, so....
After work today, I sat in a class and learned to do Paper Foundation Piecing -PFP. It is a way of making quilt squares that are perfectly square, near perfect, and have exact seam allowances.

The only "template" you use is a printed piece of paper that has the pattern printed on it. You sew right thru the paper so you need more than one copy if you are going to make a quilt from the squares. After you sew all the pieces onto the paper you trim the outer edges and then pull the paper off the back. I would not have believed that I could make that perfect of a pieced square the first time I tried it.

It was awesomely fun to get this result. I will be making more and probably trying some new PFP patterns too If I can, I will be taking the next class - making a PFP table runner.

3 comments:

mcdc3s said...

OH I love it! I am so in awe of the quilting designs. They are so lovely. And now... some of the modern designs are like wall hangings. I can't wait to see your progress.

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I'm a newbiw quilter and have since decided this is my favorite way to quilt. I think it's because it takes the guesswork out of the precision process.

I love your first piece.

Feel free to pop by and say hello.

Gene Black said...

Maralena: I thought I had broken my sewing machine, but a wonderful friend/co-worker/teacher told me what to do and it is working again. I will be sewing more soon. Yaaay.


Carol: Thanks, I did!