Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Painting

For this Thanksgiving morning I decided to try a method I had read about for starting a painting. I started by choosing 3 colors. I had a friend make 3 marks on the paper. I gave him 3 brushes (two different sized rounds and a flat)and the palette with my three acrylic colors. He took each brush in turn and used a different color with each brush. He made 3 calligraphic marks. Then the fun began!

I took the piece and sat it on my easel. I normally paint acrylics on a flat table-so this was also a change to my procedure. I used the same 3 colors and a bit of carbon black (to make shades) and went to work. I allowed runs and blossoms in the paint to give it a spontaneous excitement. I don't think it is finished but so far I am really liking this piece.

Here it is for your viewing pleasure:
Thanksgiving

Opinions? Ideas for finishing it? Your comments as always are appreciated.
Happy Thanksgiving
Gene

1 comment:

Cellissimo said...

I really love how this is bold at the edges and softer and lighter in the middle. The colors work really well together. It almost feels as though you're in a forest and looking up to the tops of the trees. The eye moves to middle space that's acts like a sky. I don't have any suggestions, but I think you're going in the right direction!