Monday, February 23, 2009

Layers of Vision


I haven't posted a painting in quite a while. So I thought this might be opportunity to post one of my more vivid paintings. The colors in the image are not quite true but this is as close as I could manage. Some of the reflective paints that I used in this piece confuse the flash and other parts of the camera, I suppose.
This painting hangs in my studio (painting and quilting just a few feet apart). The colors in it remind me of the lovely batiks that Wanda AKA Exuberant Color uses in her quilts.
This painting is approx 24 inches wide by 30 inches tall (no I didn't measure, I am guessing!)
I am currently working on a smaller version of this TYPE of painting, which gains color and depth by using multiple glazes of transparent color. The small one is, I believe, 12 by 12 inches. If I can get a good picture when it is done, I will post it also. I hope you enjoy looking at my work.

9 comments:

Pat said...

This does remind me of a batik fabric. Nice work! Thanks for letting us see it, Gene.

Qubie said...

I do like your painting. It would be great as fabric. I could see making a quilt around this.

Gari in AL said...

I love the vivid color and the more I look at it the more I see in it. Thanks for sharing.

www.welovequilting.com said...

I saw faces and I loved it!

LINDA BYLSMA said...

Your painting is awsome! And it does remind one of batik quilts. Your skills are compatible and interchangeable, me thinks.

And congratulations for winning my Gobs of Goodies Giveawy. I will mail it on Monday.

Oh, keep sharing your art.

Kaye said...

such talent, love those colors and how you blended them. Congrats on winning Linda's give a-way. Lucky You. On our bus trip yesterday Pat was our BusCaptain and did a great job, everything went smoothly and we didn't lose anyone! LOL She told us if we wanted to have a raffle on the ride home to buy a fat quarter. The show was oooohhhh (see my blog) so good. About 20 people bought the material at the show and you'll never guess who won????

Kaye said...

Pat did. She didn't want to take it but we convinced her otherwise. She put in a fat 1/4 she won. So congrats again to both of you!

Tonje said...

Oh, this is exciting! So much to see and discover when you look at it. Love the colours you've used.

LynnS said...

Fantastic! A cityscape at sunset when seen through a bus window. I see glass-like reflective lights and want to look closely to see how you achieved that!