Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Stitch Camp - An Artful Sidestep

While I am still quilting on the Party Time quilt,  I saw an online course called "Stitch Camp."  It involves fabric, paint, stitchery, and creative challenges.   How could I resist?  So I signed up and have now finished day two of five days. 

We started by choosing three fabrics. Then we took our light fabric and painted two pieces on it. One was heavily painted with only a small amount of negative space (bare fabric) left.  We painted with paints matching (or close) to the other two colors.  Each piece was split roughly in half using more of one color than the other.   As my colors were blue and brown, I had a blue side with some brown, and a brown side with accents of blue. 

The second piece was more linework with a lot of negative space left. Again it was split roughly in half. 

Today we cut piece from our works and sewed them together.  In the demo she did this all by hand.  I sewed the columns by hand but then used a machine to zigzag them together.  Here is my result to the current stage. 

Being a quilter, it is no surprise that I chose to make mine a 9-patch.  In the demo, she sewed hers into a long single row.  But we were given freedom to do this as we choose. 

I have no clue what happens next, but I am sure it will involve more hand stitching - embroidery type.  I suppose it is time that I find matching threads of different weights to use tomorrow (Wednesday.)


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That "camp" is PERFECT for you!! You lost me at "paint" - LOL - ;))

Barbara said...

A fun exercise, and I see a lot of “eyes”. Reminds me of college art class exercises. But where is all the color I always enjoy in your work? Oh yeah, you were limited. I’m sure the colors are yet to come!

Kathleen said...

This looks fun. I may have another friend in that class, I will have look at her Instagram feed and see if it is the same one. Looks like a great way to get creative juices flowing.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm doing Stitch Camp as well, but I haven't gotten started yet. My week is ending up busier than I anticipated, so I'm downloading the workbooks and hope to start soon. Your piece looks great, Gene!

Vicki W said...

Oh what fun! I'd love to do something like that but I really can't work with the paints much anymore. I have to be outside to use them and this isn't the time of year for that!