Sunday, June 11, 2006

Music to Inspire the Art

Last night we went to Music at McClellan. The Alabama Symphony Orchestra played, joined by TWO of Broadway's best. Michael Maguire (who was Enjolras in Les Miserables on Broadway) and Debbie Gravitte who won the TONY AWARD for Best Featured Actress In A Musical for JEROME ROBBIN'S BROADWAY sang the night away.

WOW ...I had a difficult time sleeping when I got in -way after my bedtime. The songs are still running in my head. Probably the best songs of the night were - Bring Him Home -Maguire and Defying Gravity (from Wicked!) -Gravitte.

I was thrilled and amazed at Ms Gravitte's performances and stage presence. She spoke briefly about the song "If He Walked Into My Life" from Mame, before she sang it. She revealed that she has a son who is going from boyhood to manhood. She said that the songs means so much more to her now. Then she sang it with full emotion as only someone who has lived it can.

Michael Maguire, before he sang "Bring Him Home" spoke of the time in which the musical is set. The time was turbulent, and we live in turbulent times also. He said that if you don't know the play, compare the song to the wishes for our soldiers. BRING THEM Home. Regardless of how you feel about the war, we all want to see the boys home safely. I cried for both reasons....the play and the soldiers.

The most FUN part of the evening was a medley from a favorite of mine- Little Shop of Horrors. Debbie Gravitte sang "Somewhere that's Green" as part of it...then it finished on Suddenly Seymour. And how could I possibly fail to mention - Michael Maguire sang Music of the Night with a brief but pleasing cameo by Ms Gravitte. Several Standing Ovations were the order of the night.

I refuse to end without mentioning the Glorious Alabama Symphony Orchestra. WOW!!! Wow! Such a wonderful treasure.

2 comments:

~jolene said...

Gene, I got the chills reading about the performances..and I wasn't even there! Thank you for making me feel a part of it...which you so richly did with your words!

Tammy said...

Gene - I'm happy to find your blog - I'm a little blog obsessed and found you through Jolenes!

Wow - this sounds fabulous! I was lucky enough to see Wicked on Broadway last year, and I LOVE Defying Gravity!! Listen to the soundtrack at work often! And Les Mis... Well, I've seen it three times and each time it was more wonderful!

And Music of the Night - yet another favorite...

Sounds fantastic!!!

Tammy (AV and Sharpies!)