Friday, September 08, 2006

Daughter of the Moon- Finding Glory

I almost never purposely put a person in my paintings. I am "afraid" to paint people. (too hard you know) The most curious thing is that they continue to show up there and beg my attention. That is how Daughter of the Moon came about.

I had painted a very non-representational painting. (meaning it wasn't supposed to "look like" anything. ) I was showing it to my parents. We were trying to decide what to call it and which end went up. Yes, it is true, I make no claims to understand what I paint.

Mom and I were turning it and chatting saying what elements we were seeing. (I should mention that neither of my parents are artists nor are they educated in art. I still consider their opinions highly valid.)

This is what mom and I were looking at. Dad said, "Hey, come over here. Don' t you see that woman sitting down?





And there she was...up close she was just blobs....but ....
Now I knew she was there and I had permission from the muse to paint her.



This is the finished (maybe?) work. Dad saw the magic in the picture and made me see it.
Mom had been seeing creatures in the ocean until we all saw the woman. So
Mom gave it me the idea for the name...she said - maybe it is Hiawatha* and I said, yes....by the shining big sea water. (I do know that Hiawatha was the son of Nokomis..but I did not correct her)

Here is an excerpt.
*By the shores of Gitche Gumee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.
Dark behind it rose the forest,
Rose the black and gloomy pine-trees,
Rose the firs with cones upon them;
Bright before it beat the water,
Beat the clear and sunny water,
Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water.




6 comments:

altermyworld said...

WOW i can tell you if i had the money to buy the money to buy this I would. Honestly it is poetic, romantic, dark and mysterious, She wanted to be pained and YOU did it.

Ang

nici said...

You can really sense the sun filtering down through the trees and bouncing off the water...the is very beautiful, and has a fairy tale quality!

Tammy said...

Very very cool... or to coin Jolene's phrase... SOCOOL! I love that she just appeared and gave you permission to paint her. I love it!

Tammy

PennyBlue said...

Love the colors...Love the title!

Pat said...

Ah...bless your dad (may he rest in peace) for being a man after my own heart!!!

Wellville said...

Gene,I would love to buy her.