Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Vase Reimagined


Vase Reimagined
Originally uploaded by Gene ebandit Black
A friend has moved into a new home and is working on decorating. For the family reunion I did a quick "Changing Rooms" fix for a vase from a plastic bottle. Now we want something a bit more permanent and interesting.

I went shopping and couldn't afford many of the things that made me go "Oooh Pretty!"
So I decided to go the DIY route again; heck it is my special gift. I ran into the dollar store (or looney store as our Canadian friends might call it) and got a plain glass vase. Yep...rather boring. I brought it home and spray painted it gold. Too gaudy. I added some black to tone it down. Too "I made this in Vacation Bible School" I sprayed on some red. Better, but I still wasn't happy.
I took it into my studio and started painting on it like it was one of my less structured works. NOW I was getting somewhere. I added some glazes of color and some bits of gesso.

Okay, I love it. But then I didn't quit until I was happy, so of course I love it. I hope the friend likes it. ***fingers crossed***

8 comments:

~jolene said...

No.Way.Is.That.A.Dollar.Store.Vase.!!
Is there a Gene-ie in that vase??? LOL!
I LOVE it! Great makeover!!!!!

~jolene said...

Gene ...did you give your friend the vase?!?!?

nicci said...

--I brought it home and spray painted it gold. Too gaudy. I added some black to tone it down. Too "I made this in Vacation Bible School"--

bwahahahaha. i laughed so hard at this. whee.

Gene Black said...

~jolene, I did but we haven't managed to get it from my house to his. We both forgot to pack it. Maybe next weekend. LOL

~jolene said...

I come here everyday, sometimes twice a day...but you haven't been around :( I miss seeing your art and hearing what you have been up to...I hope you and everyone you love are doing okay.

xox

Gene Black said...

HI jolene, I have been around, just quiet mostly. The heat here affects me that way.
Hopefully I will be adding a new painting to the blog soon.
Gene

Gene Black said...

Oh --the vase looks GREAT where I put it in Dave's house. He loves it too.

~jolene said...

Yay! Gene! I am glad to know you are okay and still painting!!!

I have no doubt Dave LOVED the vase...so cool..and what a great idea!

Looking forward to seeing more of your art, soon!

Take Care!