Monday, June 02, 2008

Quilt Squares


quilt-squares
Originally uploaded by GeneBlack
I am starting my first real quilt. I am making some strip pieced squares. They are nice big 12 inch square to make it go faster.

The quilt is intended to be a "going to college" quilt for my niece who just graduated from high school. The pink and burgundy squares are the same colors as her purse that I made for her birthday. What can I say? I like the color combination. I am thinking that the purple and yellow may be too bright for the rest of the quilt. But I have plenty more squares to go so.....we will see what else I do with it.

I messed up the back blue square. I got the strips out of order, It doesn't bother me. I plan on making other block patterns too, so It won't be as noticeable.

Making a quilt is a bit of work, but seeing it coming together is a lot of fun.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I knew you would love sewing. And BTW- Amish quilters make at least one mistake on purpose. It is to remind them that only God is perfect.

Gene Black said...

Thanks gwensmom. I know that you were a strong inspiration. And just so you know, the top center block is made of THRIFTED fabric.

I also did an improvement on a bag I carry some things in and used a thrifted pocket from a pair of jeans. I just appliqued it right on.

I don't think I can be Amish, I like the electricity too much! hehee

mcdc3s said...

"Tis a gift to be simple,
tis a gift to be free..."

That's all I remember of a little Amish bit... hehe.

GENE! Look at you! Wow! I am so impressed with your sewing... The quilt looks wonderful and I know she will appreciate it while away in college.

Gene Black said...

Thanks again. I hope she enjoys the quilt.

'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight
(Just so you know: it is actually a Shaker tune, they were an offshoot of the Quakers - thank you Comparative Religions class for finally coming in handy!)
I happen to like Shaker tunes. So thanks for putting a nice cheery tune in my head for the day.

jovaliquilts said...

Wow and wow again for a first quilt! If you decide the purple and yellow is too bright for the rest of the quilt, by all means start a "spare parts" container and make that your first piece. Eventually you'll find places for those extras.

Gene Black said...

Yes jovaliquilts, I have decided to perhaps make a throw pillow out of the purple and yellow and present it with the quilt, since the rest of the quilt is more muted.
But then, I just ordered two jelly rolls (that I got at a great bargain) so that could change my plan completely. hehehee I love an open option!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Your blocks look great, Gene. I know your niece will love this.