Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Finished Quilt





Quilt Other Side

I finally finished the quilt and got pictures made. I put it on the fence to make the picture but of course part of it is hanging off the back side. So, I flipped it end for end and the second photo has the other edge at the bottom.
For this quilt, I had to hurry a finish so I tied it rather than quilting it by machine or hand. The ties are at four inch intervals This made it easier since the nine patch blocks are made of four inch sub-blocks. The blocks are 12 inches square. With the top and bottom sashing (made from sets of jelly roll strips,) this quilt covers the top of a queen size mattress perfectly. I used the backing as a self-binding to save time AND because it made the quilt pop. Nothing in my stash looked as good for the binding as the backing. I love this quilt and will hate to let it go. But I made it for a very special person, so off it will go.

Now I get to decide on a new project. My mind is reeling with ideas.

5 comments:

John said...

Great looking quilt, Gene! I still haven't offically bound a large-sized quilt -- I've opted to tie as well, usually because I'm up against a deadline. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Frauke said...

i found this Quilt in the Quiltgallery,
wonderfull and easy too, please excuse my english , I am from North Germany
Frauke

Frauke said...

a wonderfull and perhaps easy quilt too
Frauke

Gene Black said...

Ja, es war einfach. Es war mein erster Quilt, so wollte ich nicht versuchen etwas zu schwierig. Ich hatte, um es bereit für meine Nichte, um die Universität. Die gute Nachricht ist, dass es ein Erfolg war

Lorna McMahon said...

What a fabulous finish, Gene! I like that you used some blocks in another colourway at the edges. Quite creative!