Friday, November 11, 2011

Musings on Quilts

One of the comments I received on a previous post prompted me to remember a passage from a book. The character was talking about how quilts reflect the personality of the maker. The comment was on my Chinese Coins quilt. She mentioned the vivid blue sashing and border setting it off.
I have too agree. Here is how I replied to her comment.


The jelly roll that I used for the majority of the "coins" was just a little too muted for me. The vivid blue was my answer to making the quilt bold and exciting (to me at least.)I read in a book that you can tell a lot about a person by their quilts. Looking back at this one, the front is all planned and organized, but the back is not at all that way. Both have bright as well as muted parts.
I guess that pretty well defines me.
Do you think that
Your quilts show who you are? If so, what do you think they say about you?

9 comments:

Snoodles said...

Unless I am making one for someone else, I'd have to agree that my quilts do reflect a great deal of my personality...very traditional, logical, etc. I can see these traits in the choices of fabrics, and in my quilting stitches and patterns, too! Interesting post, Gene! Made me think....

Pat said...

Ummmm....I think many of my quilt projects show I like the color GREEN! :)

Unknown said...

many of my quilts show.......that i really don't know how to quilt

Rhonda said...

My quilts reflect what's in my head and has to come out. I've got alot of ideas floating around.... LOL

Vesuviusmama said...

My scrappy unplanned quilts reflect my spontaneity, the way I chafe against (what seem to me to be) arbitrary rules, my frugal nature, the pack rat in me, my love of color and diversity, my unconventional and sometimes unexpected way of doing things and seeing things.

Barb said...

Yep, it does show your personality, fun and colorful!!

LisBethOgle said...

This quilt reminds me of DNA, as in it is who you are as a quilter. Also, it reminds me of ladders. It's going somewhere.. or we are?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! I think they do. I rarely plan mine out, they are usually a bit wonky or untraditional. I am a bit scattered and I think my quilts reflect my "wild creativity"!
Great post! Love it!

Laura said...

If quilts reflect personality, I am pschitzophrenic... No, that's an illness not a personality. I don't like doing the same thing twice, straight lines bore me. I like trying new things. Quilting reflects two sides of my personality - my determination to master the difficult and my rush to get things done. Lends itself to some interesting results

Followers

Follow on Blog Lovin'

Follow