Thursday, May 22, 2014

Secret Revealed

First I should tell you that I did sew a couple of nights ago.  I made one of the cap type chemo caps and one turban from interlock knit.  The turban was made with the serger ---so much easier!

I told you several times that I was working on a project that I couldn't show.  I have my posts set to automatically share on Facebook.  The recipient is a Facebook friend and I didn't want to spoil the surprise.

You see, we had a seminary intern at our church.  We loved him and his family dearly.  When he graduated, it was a bit before he was ordained.  Last night was his ordination.  I was asked to make a priest stole for him as a present from our church.  This was a totally new experience for me.  

I was asked to make it special with symbols that mean a lot to him.  So, I did the practical thing and called his wife.   She told me that he was very involved in the Cursillo movement (in some denominations it is called De Colores.)  So I found a rooster embroidery and did a bit of re-digitizing on it.   Also the word "imagine" holds special meaning.
{*note: for some reason the whites in the fabric seem to have stains - this is from the camera phone.  The white is a pure white. }

Of course, the stole needed a cross at the center back so I digitized this one.
It has a touch of Celtic flavor in the knotwork.

I also added words that describe the goodness of God -"God Attributes"

And of course,  we needed a woven piece in it. There is a song in the Songbook used by Cursillo called "Weave" - part of the words are "weave us together in unity and love."   I used a piece of woven fabric and did an inset cross in a green fabric.  When the stole is worn this cross sits on the left chest, just over the heart.
This is not a good picture-sorry. 
And there is an applique cross on the other side,  probably at the knee level
And finally there is an angel and dove embroidery also.

I simply forgot to get a photo of the entire stole.

As a separate gift, I used the test sew-out of the attributes of God to make a framed piece.  It looked so good that I hated to let it go to waste.

Now I can get back to my usual projects --but first I have a long weekend to enjoy and next week I get to retire from my day job!


My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

19 comments:

sarah c said...

A wonderful stole. What a lovely gift.

Marjorie said...

Beautiful and thoughtful work. And soon you'll have a lot of time for many similar projects.

Lynn said...

Such a thoughtful gift!

kathyinozarks said...

beautiful gift Gene-I do that all the time too-forget to get a finish photo-happy retirement!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I can see you put a lot of thought into the design for your project. It is a unique gift from your church and it will always remind him of good times while he was with you.

kathy said...

Happy happy retirement.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Gene I hope he treasures it all the days of his life. You are so sweet and dear to make that for him.

Happiest of Retirements to you! I doubt you will really retire....just find new things to do :)

Kelly

Patricia Lessell said...

What a wonderful gift you made.

Barbara said...

I especially like the Celtic cross. Your retirement will surely bring new creations we will all enjoy. Congratulations!

suemac said...

He will certainly cherish this.

Rhonda said...

What a precious gift. Each time he wears it, all the wonderful memories of his friends will warm his heart. Great job, Gene!!

Thin Man Sewing said...

Beautiful embroidery. What a wonderful gift that I am sure will be cherished.

Jeanna said...

You never cease to amaze me with your wide range of talents Gene! I love everything you made for the stole.

Congratulations on retirement from the day job...now the FUN begins!

Jean said...

In our area De Colores is known as The Walk To Emmaus from the story in the Bible following Jesus' crucifixion. I'll always remember my week-end walk as a very high point in my life.This story can be found in Luke 24 starting with verse 13. Enjoy.

Vicki W said...

What a thoughtful gift!

Elaine said...

So thoughtfully done. He will love it forever. Congrats on retirement-you will love it! Can't believe you get done what you do and still work!

Beth said...

Beautiful and very meaningful symbols/embroidery on the stole. I am sure it will be treasured.

You get to retire!!!! Oh happy quilting, weaving, crafting days coming up for you.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

What a thoughtful gift! I know he will love it and think of you every time he wears it.

Happy retirement, speaking from experience I can only say you won't look back and wish you were still 9 to 5-ing it!

Sarah said...

Wow that stole is going to be a hit wherever the wearer goes!

And congrats on getting to retire! Do you have any big plans or will you just sew, weave, paint, etc for a while?