Friday, March 17, 2023

A Face and A new Stitchery

Welcome!  I am glad you are here to visit.   This is posting on March 17th 2023,  which happens to be Saint Patrick's Day.  Yes, I do have some ancestors from the green isle of Ireland. 

Many of you probably are here to see what I have created for the Friday Face Off.  This past week I worked on a paper clay face.  This was  my first attempt at creating with paper clay.  I decided to make a strange/scary face for this week.  

*** Oops I was wrong this is an air dry clay but it is not a paper clay.  
I would certainly be frightened if I ran into this strange lady. 

Perhaps you would prefer to see something a bit lovelier. 
I started on a new stitchery piece recently.  The background fabric is a piece of a new gradient fabric that I ordered from Colorways by Vicki. It is called Aurora. 
To start, I couched some yarn, rattail cord and some ribbon on it. 
Then I added some decorative machine stitches. 
And then I started adding hand embroidery. I was going to say that is the fun part, but honestly, all of this is fun.  If you see the silver heart there, it is my needle minder. Perhaps you see the needle on it. 
That came from Tonya's Sewing Room on Etsy.  Tonya has a lovely and varied selection of needle minders in her shop.  If you do handwork, I highly suggest that you get one -or more. 
Both Tonya and Vicki are internet friends AND vendors that I have ordered from several times in the past, just so you know. 



 I am linking this to the Friday Face Off hosted by Nicole at  DVArtist  Clicking the link will take you to her blog.  It is great fun to see how various people interpret the challenge. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

16 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Yes, that is one scary lady! Your stitchery is wonderful, a dream! Hapy FFO! Hugs, Valerie

Tom said...

...yep, she's a bit scary!

DVArtist said...

As much as I love your fabric/textile art I REALLY love your scary woman face. She is just brilliant. I have not worked too much with paper clay. I don't like the feel of it. I know too weird. LOL To answer your question on my comments. I will make face with clay then mold it so I can use it again and again. As for stamps, I use beads, charms, the ends of tools, whatever I have on hand. I will purchase molds too if the price is right. Thank you for joining FFO and have a very nice day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Very, very scary.

I adore your hand stitching. Unfortunately, I have no pinch grip, so all my stitching is on the machine (mostly paper to paper).

sirkkis said...

Yes, you are a good paper sculptor... but I like more your lovely stitching.
Happy St.Patric's Day ☘️💚

Christine said...

Nice work! Happy St Paddy's!

Iris Flavia said...

Happy St Patrick´s Day, Gene. I have an Irish Shamrock from Bill from "Somewhere in Ireland" right by my private PC :-)
I would´ve linked but....
That lady look really scary.
Big WOW on your stitching, it is beautiful!!! What do you do with it? Is it a piece for the wall?

Gillena Cox said...

Yes she is scary😁 Happy St Patrick's Day

Much💚love

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

"Scary lady" IS scary! Your stitching is BEAUTIFUL - are you going to add it to your exhibit? - ;))

Jeanna said...

The scary lady looks scared herself. I love the stitchery piece. Looks like you are having a great time with it.

My name is Erika. said...

That strange lady face almost looks like one of those medieval faces you see on old cathedrals. And your stitching is really wonderful. I like it a lot. Happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Vicki W said...

I love what you are doing with Aurora!

Kathleen said...

Fun on your blog - a scary lady and beautiful stitching on gorgeous fabric.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Well you were successful in creating a scary face even if it wasn't the medium you thought it was. As for you stitchery ... I can't wait to see the finished product. I am certain it will be gorgeous :) Happy St. Patrick's day to you ... I have a touch of Scotch Irish. I don't know if that counts as Irish, but I always celebrate as if it did :) Be well, Gene ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Yikes! She is a little scary, but very clever of you to make her.
I love the needlework. It is truly beautiful so far. How far will you go? Or do you know yet?

NatureFootstep said...

it´s good it is just clay. No woman would like looking like that :) :)