Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Transfer Madness

I have been attempting to do a transfer method using inkjet transparency sheets. According to the directions you paint gel medium where you want the transfer. Then you place the transparency (ink side down) on the medium, burnish, and wait 15 minutes.
The plastic is supposed to peel up and leave the image behind.

This did NOT happen for me. Either one of two things happened: the ink stayed on the transfer, OR the plastic peeled up part of the surface with the plastic sheet.

Color me disgusted with this technique.

Let's PAINT instead!

3 comments:

~jolene said...

"Disgusted" is SO NOT your color ;-)

Tammy said...

Darn! I haven't tried this yet - now I'm not so sure I want to! Disgusted doesn't work for me either!

Tejae: Heart Shaped Art said...

Hi Gene, in case you'd care to try the transfer again I've included a couple of links. The first was transfers with acrylic. I believe he used a toner based photocopy instead of an inkjet. He includeds pictures of the technique and explains the science behind it. The second link, she uses an inkjet but with specific Canon or HP tshirt transfer paper and she's transferring onto polymer clay but I think it would work on your canvases using acrylic. Good luck!

http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/acrylicgeltransfers.htm

http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/pcc/featured/mcmillanlesson.html

Tejae