Saturday, September 22, 2007

Spirit of the Mountains

I started with a 15 by 20 inch piece of illustration board. I poured paint on it and scraped through it. I hated it. So I took white gesso and covered the surface. While the gesso was still wet I stamped into it with rubber stamps that I have carved. After that dried, I took some removable self adhesive plastic paper and cut shapes- strips, blocks and one star- which I used as masking. With these in place, the first layer of transparent acrylic paint was put down as a glaze. This dried and some of the masking was moved around (or just removed) and another glaze followed. Between layers of glaze, some symbols were stamped in. After several layers of glazing, the big circle was outlined with paint mixed with gesso. I then filled in part of the circle and placed texturing materials over it.
When it dried and the texturing materials were removed it was too solid a circle. So some alcohol was lightly sprayed on parts and some paint was scrubbed off. The "mountains" in the lower part were painted in and it was left to dry.
I had planned to paint more on this, but for now I like it.

2 comments:

~jolene said...

I like it too! I like it a lot!
The stamped images layered in the background look like hieroglyphics to me...as if it is an ancient storyboard.

BRAVO!

cookievf said...

Hi Gene -

Followed a link here from the "old" Try it Tuesdays site! Still quite an amazing resource.

I wanted to drop a line, say hello and how much I'm enjoying this piece. It has powerful imagery & really speaks to me. Lovely to hear you describe your techniques! Thank you!

- vicki xo

I will also add you as a contact on flickr where my "name" is the same!