Monday, August 04, 2008

Quilted Purse: under construction

I am making a quilted purse as a present. It is a suprise so I can't mention many details in this public space. I will say that I see that this picture is "wonky" beause the purse front is nice and straight. The band is even too. But I am tired and not willing to re-take the picture. I think this will be a nice purse when I am finished. Oh yes, those faint white lines in the dark sections -don't worry that is chalk and it will wash right out.

The lower black section is heavily quilted. I decided to use red thread to carry the color thru and make it a bit more interesting. If you click on the photo, you will go to my Flickr site. Once there you can see a detail shot of the quilting. I am doing free-motion quilting. Since I have a deadline, this is a VERY brave thing for me to attempt.

So far, so good. I wil keep you posted.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

That is really good for your first free motion quilting. I tried it once and it looked so bad that I am scared to try again!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Anxious to see your finished purse! What pattern is this? I'm looking for one that is worn kind of as a bookbag, yet over the opposite shoulder (crosses your body).

Gene Black said...

Actually this is not a pattern. I am making it up as I go. I tend to work that way on creative projects. That way I don't get bogged down in details and drop the project. That is just me. Every time I make a new "design" I learn something else. (usually by ripping out a seam or whatever)
I would think if you can make a quilt, you could make a bag by winging it. But then if you are a "follow the pattern" person that might be a real challenge. I say go for it. You never know what you can do till you try...I actually did some decent free motion quilting on this -it is a FIRST for me.
Gene

jacquie said...

Hey there. Found you thru Wanda's blog. Love this purse so far especially the dense quilting. I'll be back to see more! btw you asked about Wanda's wonky log cabins...i have a tutorial you might be interested in.

Pattie said...

Hi Gene -

Thanks for the comment on my blog. It's nice to meet you - especially since you’re a quilter! I'm just a newbie myself: been at it for about a year now. But I sure love it.

That photo your neice sent is terrific! I can’t think of a better way to show off a quilt you've made than by seeing it wrapped around someone who loves it so much!

Good luck with the purse. I can’t wait to see the finished product. :-)