Thursday, September 10, 2015

Angels Can Change Lives

For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. Psalms 91:11

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. (Hebrews 13:2)

The season of Fall is upon us. Suddenly we are thinking about cooler weather.  (I am hoping for it to be cooler soon!)  This also makes me very aware that it is time once again to kick the Quilt Angels project into gear for this year.  Truthfully, I am late.  Mea culpa.

What is the Quilt Angels project?
Quilt Angels is a project that started in 2011.  The original plan was to do this one time. A Higher Power had better plans and this has become a yearly project.  Basically the project gathers quilts generously given for youth that are in a shelter situation. The shelter that we support is named Ogden House and is in Guntersville, Alabama.  The young people in this shelter  are not "juvenile delinquents" or "bad" kids.  These are youth 12 to 17 who at risk or for some reason can not be safe in their home situation.  This may be due to abuse, bad environment or some other reason.  They come from all areas of the socio-economic spectrum. They all have one need that you can help fill. They need to know that they are loved. It is truly amazing to see and hear them when they receive these quilts.  The quilt each one receives tells them that someone loved them enough to put time and work into showing that love.  I have heard amazement when one looks at a label on the quilt that says it came from Texas or California or Virginia or wherever.  For some this is the first time unconditional love for them has been made tangible.

We do ask that the quilt be at least 45" by 60" so that they can be used by the largest youngster that is there. We also ask that, if possible, you make it gender neutral. Bed sized quilts are excellent and are much appreciated as they will be loved and used for years. They will be a tangible reminder that "Someone loves you!"
It is preferred that you put a label on the quilt. Whether or not you put your name is your choice. But, a label with your state and a short statement such as "made with love just for you" or "From someone who loves you" etc will add so much value to these quilts in the eyes of the recipients. Machine binding is perfectly acceptable. Completed with love is far more important than perfection.

If you would like to help, you can comment on this post or email me by clicking here.  Please put "Quilt Angels" in the subject line.

Thanks to Linda for asking - the deadline for delivery this year is December 17, 2015.  We would like for the quilts to be to us by that date.  Quilts arriving later will be delivered to the shelter also, but will not be part of the main delivery.  When you comment or email me that you have a quilt for the project, I will reply with the shipping address for the quilts.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

When is the deadline for the quilts?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have quilts waiting for this and will give you a shout out on an up coming post.

Barbara said...

I'm not able to take part, Gene, but want to say how heartwarming it is to see the amount of giving you and others have done each year. It's wonderful.

Michele said...

Count me in. I have one done. I may get the second one finished, but I'm not sure.

Rhonda said...

I'd like to participate . One definitely but hopefully two.

Unknown said...

I am adding the binding on one now and will have it ready shortly. Thanks for all you do for the kids.

Susan said...

I don't know that I will be able to donate a quilt this year, but if you could you use a fleece blanket with a hand crocheted edge I'd be happy to send you one or two.

Barb said...

I have one that just needs a binding.....gotta get er done!!

Gmama Jane said...

Gene, the giving of a quilt to a child or anyone for that matter in a difficult situation speaks so much more than words could ever say! I am going through some difficult circumstances with the health of my oldest daughter. I don't want to promise a quilt that I can not guarantee but I am going to do my level best to make a quilt for the Ogden House. We have the Harris Home here in Huntsville, Al. Afterall, we are neighbors! My daughter is a volunteer photographer with NILMDTS (Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep) which is a National Organization with local chapters that provide professional bereavement photography for parents who lose a baby before, during or soon after birth. I make blankets and layettes for use in photographing these little angel babies. It is truly a labor of love.
Blessings
Gmama Jane