Saturday, November 10, 2018

Coins Have Been Flying

With the finish of the Wonky Stars quilt top - and getting it mailed off, I took a couple of days away from the sewing machine.  Then bright and early this morning - not that early to be honest-  I started finishing the last section of the Coins Quilt.

I had the middle section handy to use as a guide for length.  After sewing four columns, I took a photo. 
The four newly sewn columns are on the right. The four columns on the left are the center section that was already sewn.

But my mojo was back in force, so I decided to keep going. Not long after lunch, I had the full section completed.
It is a total of six columns.  Close to the end, I realized that I would run out of the gray fabric before I finished.  So I substituted some of the green as they are both background fabrics for the coins. I won't even point out where it happened.  I did make sure there was enough gray for the edge strip so that it matches the other side.
These sections will have a thin black border added to each end (maybe 2 inches wide at each end.)  This is going to be a big old quilt.  After adding the borders, I will back and quilt each  section separately and them join them with black strips that will serve to join the the black borders visually. I am also thinking of using black for the binding - unless I find a piece of a nice black/white print that I can use for it.  I would want that to be more black than white to mimic the joining strips.

Of course, I will also be doing other projects in between quilting sessions - but they may be "gift sewing" that I won't be able to share until after they are given.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. However at this time Blogger is not notifying me of comments. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

So glad to see your mojo is back in force - your big old quilt is coming along nicely - lots of color - and lots of scraps put to good use - ;))

Rhonda said...

Sometimes the mojo comes and goes but happy yours is back. What a great way to use up scraps. I love the scrappy look!!!

Barbara said...

Very, very nice! For me, it has a nautical look, so colorful!

Marie said...

Really like the coin quilt always wanted to make one, looks great.Hugs, Marie