Saturday, November 17, 2018

Making the Coin Quilt - correcting an error

The Coin Quilt is still in progress - although it is going very slowly.  Last weekend, I sewed what I thought was the final side border.  Then I realized, when I sat down with it again, that I had sewn a gray border on the right side. The plan had been to put a black border on it so the black would connect all around the quilt. **note: I have yet to put the top and bottom borders on it due to this oops.
So my trusty little seam ripper and I spent a bit of quilty, quality time together. The gray border was removed from the right side. After a week of doing various other things (reading, studying Spanish, ukulele practice and planning for Thanksgiving) I finally put the black border on that side.
This is a poor photo with the pieces just laid over my bed, but you can see the black at the bottom. That is the replacement piece.  I folded up the back edge (top of photo) so that you can sort of see the black there.

My next job on this is to trim the three sections to the same length exactly so that I can add the top and bottom black borders. This will probably not happen until after Thanksgiving - just so you know.

I took the mockup photo from before and edited it so that you can have an idea what it will look like once the pieces are joined.
The center section of the quilt has solid gray borders on either side. Those will be joined to the outside sections with thin black strips.  Before that, I will first be quilting each long section.  This quilt will completely cover my queen-size bed with a overhang on each side and at the foot.

I hope you will pop over to The Frog Quilter blog and see what amazing work she has done on the Wonky Stars top.  It is delightful to see what she has done with my simple top. Her quilting really adds greatly to the total quilt.

This coming week I will be busy in the kitchen.  For our family dinner, I am making an apple pie, possibly a cake, and cranberry relish. I will also be helping Mom with her contribution of dressing. I will make the cornbread and then help her with assembly and getting it in and out of the oven.  I may use the cooking time to borrow her living room hardwood floor to lay out and trim the quilt sections.  But then again, we may just visit and enjoy each other's company. 

If you don't hear from me between now and then, have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.



Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. However at this time Blogger is not notifying me of comments. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

diane said...

Your coin quilt is great. Like how the gray and green fabrics play together and the black tops it off.
Indeed your wonky stars are getting the royal treatment. How wonderful.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your quilt is coming along nicely! Sorry about the "bonding time" that you spent with your seam ripper - but the results are well worth it. Frog Quilter has done a marvelous job on your Wonky Stars top - her quilting always amazes me - ;))

Vicki W said...

Both of your quilts are looking wonderful!

Pamela Arbour said...

I am enjoying your progress on this quilt. I am looking forward to the finish. I hopped over to Frog Quilter. Oh wow, she had done a wonderful job on the wonky stars. I was so glad to get to see the progress. I was wondering what she might do with it. So many posibilities!

Barbara said...

Lots of work and re-work in this one, but it will be worth it! Happy Thanksgiving as well to you, Gene.

Frog Quilter said...

I'm glad you like the quilting I did on your top. It was so much fun. I love stretching my creativity. Again thanks for the quilty hug top.

Rhonda said...

Hi Gene. I'm too lazy to respond via email. Grandma used mayo. I started using yogurt a few years ago.

Tangos Treasures said...

Quilt looks great!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!