Tuesday, June 29, 2021

More Plaid and Cardboard Dulcimer

I have been quilting on the Plaid quilt.  At this point I have only four more rows to quilt - not counting the borders
Here is the sort of full on shot.

I have played around with various quilting designs as I worked through the rows.




Several people asked about the cardboard dulcimer.  I was planning to do a video  
playing it while I had my camera man available.  His camera wasn't charged up, 
so that didn't happen. Here is a photo of it as it looks today.

My plan is to do some more painting on it. This is the third way I have painted it. 
I simply haven't decided just how to paint it.

Lacking the playing video, I decided to make a very simple video so you can hear the sound
of the instrument.  I was holding the camera/phone in the other hand so I couldn't do any chords. 
This dulcimer is tuned to an open "D" chord so that is what you are hearing. 

I normally play this with a pick (seen in the photo) or a turkey quill. But sometimes, I play 
with my fingers although it is rough on my fingernails. I know of one autoharp player who 
gets his "picking" nails coated with acrylic at a nail salon so he can play with his nails. 
I need to check on the price and see if I might find it worthwhile to do that. 




Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Marie said...

Hi Gene, I really like your quilt and using all the designs are great! Hope too hear more on your music adventure.Hugs, Marie

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I LOVE your quilting different motifs in each row - it's a terrific way to show off your quilting! And your dulcimer sounds great - have fun painting it - ;))

Barbara said...

Your quilting elevates a lovely but simple plaid quilt to something much more interesting and beautiful. It is way above the finishing touch! The dulcimer sound is also lovely, so pure.

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful quilting and I love the sound of your dulcimer-I just finished weaving a Viking era twill set of kitchen towels on to the next weave adventure

Kathleen said...

When I played guitar i would let my nails long on my right hand, short on my left for that very reason! Love that little dulcimer, not to mention your fabulous quilting on the plaid piece.

Linda Swanekamp said...

One professional guitarist I know does his own picking nails. He buys a kit and does them. He likes the picking sound playing and he saw another guitarist do the same.

Jeanna said...

Your quilting is looking so nice, Gene. I love the different designs in each section.
The Dulcimer has a lovely sound. I tried the gel nails once and my natural nail really thinned out due to the prep they have to do to get the gel to adhere. They did grow out and are healthy again. I've decided that I don't want the maintenance involved of keeping up with the gel.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great quilting and great Dulcimer, too.