Friday, July 03, 2026

A face or two for Friday

Friday is the day Nicole hosts the Friday Face Off,  so I have a couple of "faces" to share today. 

I took some fabric that I bought in Mexico several years ago. It is a bordered fabric and I like the other part far more than the part with the white background.  Of course I kept the part with the white thinking "I may find a use for it someday."   One of the "themes" I have in my altered book is flowers and wildflowers.  So, I cut up the pieces to collage into my book. 
Here is the layout
Yes,  did buy this in Mexico, but the words are in French. 
I also added a few strips of washi tape with flowers. 
And I did a few quick pen drawings right on the page. 

There are faces there.  Do you see them?
If not, here are some close ups

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that a few places, I used an acrylic pen to 
make the design a bit stronger. 

But how about another face - this one is mine. 
I took a selfie and used AI on it to paint myself.

I think it is the most accurate AI changed photo of me that I have seen. NO, I don't have paint on my face, but I have always loved artists that weren't afraid to add color that "isn't really there" to a face or shadows or whatever.  

Linking to The Friday Face Off
I hope Nicole is feeling better and can host this week. She shared that she was having a bad Lupus flair in her last post. Wishing you well, Nicole. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

11 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I keep the fabric edges too because I think they are interesting, and you used the ones you had very well Gene. It's a great page. And a great AI self-portrait too. I hope you have a super July 4th tomorrow and weekend ahead.

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

That's a fun collage, and love that it has French words. A lot of people don't know or understand how culturally rich Mexico is, and that it has influences from all over the world. I find it offensive when people are surprised that I'm a Mexican descendant, just because of my coloring or because I have a blond daughter, a red headed grandson, and blue eyed family members. Sorry for getting on my soapbox, but I know you understand what I mean, having lived in Mexico. I love your AI self-portrait too, and agree that adding colors can make portraits so much richer. Blessings, my friend!

Iris Flavia said...

Love the fabric faces and your AI came out supergreat! Yes, why not make a point with colors! Happy Friday!

EricaSta said...

Fun! Yes, the portrait remember on Andy Warhol indeed. Bravo! Well done.

...and thank you for sharing a nice comment.

Greetings by Heidrun

Tom said...

...Gene, you are just one colorful dude! Have a Happy 4th and a Joyous July.

Vicki W said...

AI is pretty amazing. I hope you have a happy 4th!

Jennifer said...

The first three are very pleasnt. The last was like whoa Hello Gene.lol

Carola Bartz said...

The AI image of you is fabulous, Gene. I was thinking of using some fabric in my art journal as well, but I'm a bit at a loss how to adhere it to the page. How did you add yours?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also keep fabric edges. I love what you did in your AB. And your AI face is fabulous. I love the bit of color you gave yourself. Happy belated FFO and happy 4th.

Jeanna said...

That is a great page in your altered book, Gene. I did notice faces in the fabric right away. The AI version of your selfie is fun! Those blue eyes still shine through. I hope you had a nice 4th!

DVArtist said...

Wow! First thank you for the well wishes. This flare was/is a bad one. Anyway, your art is so creative and beautiful. That AI face is quite spectacular. Well done. Thank you for sharing with FFO.