Monday, October 18, 2010

A Dear Gene Letter

Dear Gene - a letter to myself,
You have lots to do today. Please get busy.  Yes I know that AccuQuilt makes some amazing dies for the GO! cutter.  Guess what?  That doesn't mean you can SEW them all.   You have never been good at precise curves. (I know, self.  I know!) So why, when you need to be busy getting things made for inventory for the Winter Sale, did you decide to try a Drunkard's Path project?
Look at this block:



Sure it looks "okay" - but it ain't right!  Your curve sewing needs work.  Yes, this will be a perfect project to work on it with. But not today, okay?
Now everyone else is looking at that block thinking "that lower right corner is turned the wrong way."  Yeah, it does look that way, self, but I had a plan.  See this:


In the right hand half, it is the upper right block (even though blogger show it oriented the wrong way) 
And then you cut out all these pieces in no time flat:

If you could sew them as quickly as you cut them, I would not be fussing at you.

You need to just put them with the block in a nice envelope or storage bag and wait till LATER to do this.  Maybe you will finally "get" the curved piecing to work well enough... for now, Gene, get to work on things that you are already skilled at doing! Okay?  Sheesh, you are one stubborn man quilter!

Okay self, okay!  I get the point.  I will work on the other stuff.  I am going back to work!
 
ps  There is a cool giveaway FABRIC at Jaybird Quilts

16 comments:

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I think I have had similar conversations with myself too many times lol. I say "focus" to myself quite often lately.

I love the layout you have chosen. I keep seeing the drunkard's path die being used all over blogland. I might have to buy me one soon. There are so many different ways to use it. Although I haven't tried curved piecing yet....

Miss Hillbilly said...

I just bought that curved piecing foot. Now I need a pattern or template. I've never done them yet either.

Petit Design Co. said...

"myself" really needs to write some letters to myself. Sounds like "myself" and "yourself" would get along :)

Anonymous said...

I think the fabric with the little squares might be causing you "directional" issues, just a thought. Enjoyed eaves-dropping on your little conversation with self. ;)

quiltingnana said...

ok..now you have talked yourself out of doing curved piecing.. you need to say " I think I can, I think I can, I know I can.' Just kidding, they do take practice and I am sure you will get that great design done in the future

Joanne Lendaro said...

too funny!!

Pat said...

I love the layout you have chosen and hope you will pursue it........even if today is NOT the day.

Melissa ;-) said...

And THAT is why none of the dies I chose have curves!! You'd think all the curves on my would mean I could handle them, but I can't (I'm not even overly fond of the ones on me!!).

Quilting Lab said...

Gene, Recently had the same conversation with myself.....hope it helps!
(pattern does look interesting!)
Sherry

Barb said...

Gene, as always you have a cute design, I loved it even before I saw it with your EQ. I love curves but we each have our own things that we like. Send it to me and I will sew it but you may want to wait, don't know when I will be near a machine.....lots of things going on here.....lots of options.....

Kathleen said...

When there is something that must be done, everything else seems more interesting. The fabrics and pattern look great... I can see why you'd need scolding to set it aside!

Norma's Place said...

I love the idea. It would make a wonderful cushion idea for a kids room, or in bright colors for a teen! I reckon if I had an Accuquilt (getting one for Christmas hopefully) I would have to use all the dies too!

Frummie said...

Hi Sweetie,
Love the block!
Drunkard's path is my all time favorite. I made one a few years ago, it's hanging in my greatroom.
I have tried all over blogland to win the DP, but...me thinkest I will have to buy one.
Hugs,
Frummie

Micki said...

I'm with Barb...I have always loved curves, but maybe a break is in order, and you can then get back to it later.
Micki

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Love what you're doing! Glad I'm not the only one who talks to themselves - lol!

Marjorie said...

I keep telling myself the same thing - somehow it doesn't work - I'll die with more pieces cut than can ever be sewn. PS: I love curves. They're really fun.