Tuesday, September 29, 2009

And now for something completely different

I usually post my art, or as lately, my quilting - which is another form of art.

But I am also a decent cook. Just like my painting and my quilting, I frequently "make it up as I go." Tonight was no exception. Someone at work or on a blog or somewhere had mentioned stew. When I think stew, I think a tomato and vegetable dish with a little meat for flavor and texture.

I looked in the cupboards. I usually keep LOTS of canned veggies. I am low on a few things though. So just be creative! I had tomatoes with green chilies, fire roasted tomatoes with garlic - so I used one of each so it is quickly seasoned. Some kidney beans, some green beans (I diced those) Hmmmm...what else. Oooh I know, chop an onion and lightly brown it in olive oil. Mmmmmmm-Good! Now throw in the veggies on top. Start thru the spice rack - oregano -sure I love it, seasoning blend, why not! A little of this, a pinch of that.
Meat? Hmmmmm....oh there are some frozen meatballs. Six of them in the microwave for a head start, chop them and toss them in too.

Hey, it smells good in here.

Just look in that pot. Ahhh....



Time to dish up a bowl full and chow down.



Yes it is tasty. Less than 30 minutes start to serving. I wish I had had some cabbage to add and a small white potato, but oh well, I am loving this. I hope I can remember to do it again sometime. But, this will last me a couple of days. I may freeze a serving or two if I get tired of it.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Very nice!!! I'd take a container to work for lunch, too. Yummmmm....

luv2quilt2 said...

That sounds like the soups I make. During cold weather especially, I keep lots of canned beans of all kinds, lots of canned tomatoes, and from there you can get a really great meal even if you don't have meat to put in. We love it!

BROOKE said...

I LOVE cooking that way! I'm getting fairly proficient with the crockpot versions. Some of my earlier "creations" were way off base.

Greg said...

That sounds really good. Wonder if it'll fight off the flu bug?

andsewon said...

We were 48 F this AM so this would be heaven for supper tonight, can almost smell it up here in VA!
I cook same way...this that the other, what is on hand, how my Mama and MIL did...love stews and soups and chowders!

Enjoy!
Lola

Chris said...

Ymmmmmmmmm, I can smell it, really I can. I haven't had time to cook this week, do you cater? Please?

fabricartist21 said...

Yes that looks good and I think I will try it soon, or DO YOU cater like Chris asked?? I am a fairly new blogger and am asking you to come on into my blog as I am hosting my first giveaway to get some followers. Also you may ask your bloggers if they are quilters or sewers to try me out. Thanks

Granny Lyn said...

That is exactly how I cook, but, having a bit o' the blarney in me, I would have started with the potatoe! tee hee

drives my husband crazy that I have no "recipes" that he can follow, I just put in what I like. or what I have...I call it "fly cooking."