Monday, September 28, 2009

Working the Baby

Several people said that they wanted to see what the Baby and I make. Well I must tell you that I made the Baby work on Saturday. Some of you said that "at least that Baby won't cry" - wrong, I made the Baby cry. And I expect to make that Baby cry pretty regularly.

You see when the bobbin gets low, the sewing stops! Yikes, I wondered what I had done wrong. But a quick look at the display, showed a CRYING Baby. (honest! I should have taken a picture.) Anyway, the message says that the bobbin is low. You can sew a few more stitches then it happens again. When you need to finish a seam, that can be annoying. BUT if you have ever run out of bobbin and kept sewing for a couple of feet on a long seam, well you know it is better this way.
I made the Baby cry at least three times on Saturday. Yep, three bobbins worth of thread.
Other than those three times, the Baby performed like Nadia Comaneci in 1976. (-perfect -) Not a thread break, not a tangle, not a skipped stitch. AND FAST. Yes, FAST. Smooth as silk and a joy to sew on.
Well just look, I made this Nautical themed Lap Quilt top. I measures approx 52" by 34". It is a Disappearing Nine Patch with piano key borders.



(The above doesn't look crookedy in person)


I also made the beginnings of another D9P lap quilt. This one is nice and scrappy, which I prefer. So far it is approx 36" square.



Didn't that Baby do some work? And only minimal crying. I only had to feed it some thread - I didn't have to change a single diaper! (that would have gotten it returned!) Ha ha.


18 comments:

Pat said...

Baby is quite talented for being so young!!!

luv2quilt2 said...

I am jealous of a machine that doesn't break threads. Mine's been doing it a lot lately, even after a repair. Maybe I need a new Baby.

Sherry said...

Glad to see your enjoying baby. She doing a great job with you. Keep up the great work.

lesthook said...

Baby has a good feature! I hate running out of bobbin.

Tangos Treasures said...

Awesome on all accounts!

Greg said...

Nice work Gene. Looks like the baby can keep up with your demands.

Unknown said...

i'm sooo jealous......i'm glad your baby is doing so well...

JustCindy said...

That's a good baby! I love the D9P.

Barb said...

Awesome!!! my pfaff does that too

Kim D. said...

Lovely quilts, looks like Baby is working out well. I find it so annoying when my bobbin gets low, I take that back, the baby crys way before the bobbin gets low, then I ignore it, sew on and it runs out. Maybe my repair man can adjust the Baby's attitude a little.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Well doesn't EVERY parent think their baby is gifted! After teaching Kindergarten and First grade for 20 years I can tell you that is a fact.

Love the quilts...

Pat

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and QUICK results! Looks as if adopting this baby was a good move for you!

sewfunquilts said...

I was wondering if you were spending too much time playing with "Baby" and no time for blogging. mmmmh! I'm wrong again.

Nice work on both!

Anonymous said...

You're really bookin it! Your quilts look awesome Gene! Got any plans for your bday yet?? Fabric perhaps? or an uninterrupted sewing day?

Sarah said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog.

don't you love how disappearing nine patch quilts are made the same way but can look so different? I like to top one because the squares seem to be floating on the background. and the second one is so nice and scrappy!

Needled Mom said...

That is one of my favorite features on my machine. You and Baby are having fun!

fabricartist21 said...

Nice quilt and you and your baby did a good job!!

Jenny said...

Great Job! I love the d9p!