Monday, January 04, 2010

UFO no more





I posted in December about a present I was working on.  Even though it still hasn't been given, I am pretty sure she isn't reading my blog. So I am posting a picture of it.
This is the purse the Nana requested for her birthday.  The square that is set in on point was made of some thin strips of fabric in rich jewel tones.  I added some batik strips above and below the square and then used the same batik to trim the top edge and add an accent stripe on the back.
The picture shows front and back.  They are actually the same color, but my camera didn't quite cooperate with the color tones.  Oh well!  The front is closer to the actual color of the base fabric and also on the batik.
This has a really long strap as she requested. I added an adjuster so she can shorten the strap if desired. There are two pockets inside. One is  perfect for a cell phone and the other is much larger.  I hope she likes it.


In other news, I got the Royal treatment today.  This lovely package arrived in the mail from the United Kingdom.


See those lovely stickers that say "Royal Mail"  ? Hmmm?   For some strange reason getting "royal mail" always makes my heart sing. I can't explain it fully but I love getting mail from the UK.

Inside this package was a pair of wall hangings from Annette and Rebecca over at Reb and Nets quilts






And here is the picture of the contents.  Welcome to my home little Chickadees.

19 comments:

lesthook said...

What a lovely gift you made! And you sure lucked out with your mail too!

Pat said...

Of course the Nana will love that purse!!! The chicken wall-hangings are really cute. I never got Royal Mail, but I imagine it must be neat to get it!

BROOKE said...

I just love getting any mail that doesn't include the words "pay now"! LOL

BROOKE said...

I meant to add that I love those jewel tones in the bag and the chicken hangings. Very nice gifts both for the "to" and the "from".

Barb said...

Your Nana will love it and I love your gifties...

Tangos Treasures said...

Awesome bag!! She's gonna love it!
Never heard of Royal mail?? But love what you got those are adorable!!

Unknown said...

lucky nana.......i got royal mail too :) can you tell me how you placed those pictures side by side? i know you didn't do it in blogger...

Joanne Lendaro said...

Royal Mail - how cool!! The chickens/hens are the cutest, and love the bag too!

ooglebloops said...

Nana will love that bag - very nice!!!! I think Linda will be "jealous" of your Royal chickies!!!!

Unknown said...

The bag is wonderful, I am sure she will love it. I know what you mean about Royal Mail. And it is even better when you get what you got inside. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...the Nana purse surfaces! I know she will enjoy it, the quilting is special!

quiltingnana said...

great bag and great mail....

Needled Mom said...

Lovely bag and your Royal Mail quilts are adorable!

Vesuviusmama said...

Of course she'll love it - it is wonderful! How exciting to get Royal Mail! I guess I never really paid attention to the mailing label (not that I get a ton of mail from the UK), but I will next time.

Micki said...

Your bag is just wonderful and I love your quilting! What great gifts you got..Enjoy them!
Micki

Rhonda said...

Something made from the heart is always loved and appreciated. She will absolutely love it!!!

The Other Barb said...

I love the purses. Nana will enjoy them I'm sure. The quilting on the back is quite intricate. Great work.
I get Royal mail every once in awhile. Have a pen pal from England. Also had friends that were missionaries in England for several years. one hand-carried a tea pot on the airplane for me :)Definately got the "Royal treatment"
have a good weekend!

Kaye said...

I am sure your Nana will Love the purses, you did a great job. Lucky you, been doing a bit of winning recently? I Love the Ginger Jar Quilt, have ever she first showed it months ago. My dil sent me 16 fat quarter batiks, wouldn't they be beautiful Jars?

Kim D. said...

Love the purse and the quilting is wonderful. Good Job!! Glad you got the royal mail and those chickens are too cute.