Saturday, September 03, 2011

Dyeing For Fun

Today I had a friend do some prep for a form of shibori fabric dyeing for me.  This particular method can be extremely planned or you could have your helper do it randomly. Or you could do it yourself if you have to. 
  
Marbles were individually placed under the fabric and then secured with rubber bands over the top. The rubber bands need to be pretty tight. 


After all the marbles are rubber banded it is time to dye the fabric.  I use Rit dye and a low water immersion method. I used two colors of dye in separate containers that were side by side. I did drizzle some from the burgundy side into the purple side.  After the fabric was rinsed (several times) the marbles and rubber bands were removed. 


Then,  I took it outside and hung it on my chain link fence.  Some textile medium, acrylic paint (golden liquid artist acrylics)  and water were blended together and flung/spattered on the still wet fabric.  Then I left it to dry. 


After drying, I brought it in and ironed it to heat set the paints. 
Here it is:


This shows both sides so that you can see the difference in the areas where the marbles were.  On the side touching the marbles, it resisted the  dye.  On the side away from the marbles it died the centers.  The random edges of those shapes are caused by the bunched fabric held tightly by the rubber bands. 


I am still surprised that I haven't made a mess with the dye.  I think I will buy a few  more colors to play with since I have been so careful with it. 


8 comments:

Melissa ;-) said...

Very cool, Gene!

Pat said...

I'm envious of folks who seem able to jump in and get nice-looking results with hand-dyed fabrics.....like YOU! :)

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful Gene. Very interesting effect with the marbles. Great use of colors and balance of design. Love it.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow that is so cool!!I love it!

quiltingnana said...

that fabric is gorgeous...can't wait to see what you do with it

Barb said...

What a neat piece of fabric......

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Gorgeous!! It looks like you are having a great time with your dying projects.

Barbara said...

Very pretty, and as always, snappy colors!