Sunday, December 16, 2012

Angel Quilts and Winners

Saturday December 15th was the day to deliver the Quilts from the Quilt Angels.  We loaded up the trunk of the car with an amazing bunch of quilts from our Angels.
Then we went to Ogden House, a shelter for teens in need.  Some of the teens helped us unload the trunk and carry the quilts into the facility.
The quilts were placed on the big table so that they would be easy to see and find the one that spoke to them.

It was fun to watch them caress the quilts while they were picking their very own quilt from the table. I heard one of the guys say "Mine is from Texas!"
A few of the teens were willing to pose with their quilt, faces concealed of course for privacy and safety.



As you can see, it is bare under the tree.  I understand there is a Christmas party for them on Tuesday night. I really wish I could go.
Even the staff commented on how lovely the quilts are. I totally agree.  There were some big smiles on some faces when we left.  And I don't mean just mine.  Of course I was smiling too - some of the guys had gone back to playing cards and one of them had his quilt wrapped around him.  It was clear that he loved it.
Yeah, I may have had the biggest smile.

Oh...I almost forgot.  There was a drawing for prizes for people who contributed quilts.  We had teens do the drawing (yes these were the bravest for the camera even though their backs were to the camera.
I am thinking my back should have been to the camera too.  LOL.   We left in the "bloopers" mainly because I was tired when I was editing the video.

So the winners are:
Pat "OogleBloops" McN. $50 gift certificate choice of stores
Beth  $50 gift certificate choice of stores
Teresa  $50 gift certificate to IHAN
and Marjorie $15 gift certificate to Petite Design Co
The winners have been notified. Thanks to everyone that contributed to this effort.

26 comments:

Pat said...

What a wonderful effort on your part and I'm sure it is a very moving experience to spend time with those teens. I'm sure God will bless you for this project, Gene!!!

Pat Merkle said...

It was awesome to see the kids wearing their quilts. Thanks for organizing and then sharing this event.

tonyamay said...

How awesome Gene. This really hits home with me. Though, E's circumstances are different, I can relate. You are an angel! love ya, mean it

Katrina said...

Great work Gene!!

Teresa Quilts said...

Awwww! They were precious! I love seeing them with their quilts wrapped around them. Thank you for taking on this project! I really enjoyed being a part of it!

sewyouquilt2 said...

what a great thing to do to make the holiday special for someone who could use some cheering up. all the quilts are great! I am sure they will be well loved knowing someone made them "just for me".

Jean(ie) said...

Oh, I know those kids are going to LOVE their quilts. You can tell by the photos. Thanks for sharing this. I needed a little sunshine.

Richard Healey said...

Pretty cool thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

Thanks for sharing the photos and the video. It was great to see and hear.
Thanks for the gift cert too.

Weiss 'Ole Bag Lady said...

AWESOME Gene. I am delighted to see the gift and giving of LOVE for these teens. Glad I could help out.

Tangos Treasures said...

What a angel you are!!

Kate Brown said...

It looks like a wonderful time and the quilts look beautiful!! I am sure that blank one was suppose to have my name on it!!! LOL

Janarama said...

Gene, you have such a huge heart ... also the ladies who made all of the beautiful quilts!

Those teens are going to cherish their quilts for many years to come.

Thank you for sharing the video.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

What a fab idea! It clearly spread a lot of happiness to those who gave and received. The quilts are beautiful :)

Denise :) said...

I'm so glad it went well, Gene! It looked like a lot of fun and I was so disappointed to not be able to be a part of it. I hope to participate next time! :)

Barb said...

That is sooooo wonderful that you are doing this and those quilts are truly amazing....

sewfunquilts said...

Wonderful project, beautiful quilts, very handsome Angel Organizer!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Thank you Gene for sharing that with us! I hope I have a quilt to share next year. I am a slowpoke, but I will try. :) Merry Christmas!

Linda said...

What a blessing you are to so many! I didn't donate to this effort, but I do think using our skills and talents to help others is vital. (I have several opportunities through my church and guild that I help out with, but for the many who don't already have an outlet for their gifts, yours is very worthwhile!! These teens will never forget this!)

Melissa said...

How incredibly special! Thank you for sharing!

SewCalGal said...

Gene you really helped to make a difference in the lives of many. Great job. Very special.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Linda C said...

I was happy to donate a quilt and really didn't know about the incentives you were giving. Happy for the winners and I think I am one anyway just by participating.

Linda C said...

I also meant to say "that is an interesting pattern on your model" One that I have not seen before.

Michele said...

It was so much fun seeing the kids with their quilts. I cried when I saw the little boy with my quilt wrapped around him. Makes my heart sign. I'll be donating again next year. Thank you for setting this up and allowing us to join in the fun.

Michele said...

It was so much fun seeing the kids with their quilts. I cried when I saw the little boy with my quilt wrapped around him. Makes my heart sign. I'll be donating again next year. Thank you for setting this up and allowing us to join in the fun.

AlsGal said...

OMG - what a thrill to see my quilt in the top picture!!! Thanx so much, Gene, for allowing me to donate to this project. God bless those kids and YOU!!! Is there some way I can be assured that Iʻll be contacted later this year so I can participate by making another quilt? PLMK. Happy New Year Gene - you truly are an angel!