Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Fabric News and What I have been doing

I have some interesting fabric news that I think is pretty cool.   I have been the inspiration for a palette of hand dyed fabrics!  Vicki Welsh at Field Trips in Fiber and I talked through email for a bit and she has used one of my paintings as the inspiration for  a palette in her hand dyed fabric.  The painting is my all time favorite that I have painted. The title of the painting is Transcend.
Here is the painting:

Vicki took the painting and pulled colors from the paint palette and translated them into fabric.    Wait until  you see it!

Field Trips in Fiber - Announcing the Transcend Palette


I am thrilled.  I am getting some but I don't know that I will ever be able to cut into it. Ha ha.



Now I am sure you are wondering what I have been doing the last days.  My great-niece is turning FIVE this next week.  So her birthday party is this Saturday.  I bought a present, but I heard that she wants some Barbie clothes.  Those things are ridiculously expensive!  (but I think I have learned why! ha ha)

I have managed to make three Barbie dresses in the last three nights.  Be glad you weren't here the first night, I might have burned your ears a teeny bit.
Finally I found a simple pattern at Craftiness is Not an Option.  So I made two of those.
 Then I tried the Ball Gown......and it isn't too bad.


I think the little Princess will be happy.   And now I have to put the Ballerina Barbie back in the box so she can be a Christmas surprise!
i am linking up the doll dresses with Richard and Tanya's Link a Finish Friday

19 comments:

Pat said...

WOW.....how wonderful about the fabric news!!! And.....great job on the Barbie clothes. They are very "fiddly" (polite word for what I'd really say) when you try to make them, aren't they?

Linda said...

What a wonderful, validating thing! Congratulations!
Yes, the tinier the clothing, the harder they are to sew! Maybe she'll graduate to American Girl dolls later. They're MUCH easier to sew!

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a tremendous honor! Congratulations!

Thank you for the link to the Barbie dress tutorial. You did a great job with yours and I know your niece will be thrilled.

Average Quilter said...

The painting is awesome and to have fabric to match -- WOW. The barbie dresses look good. It's not easy working with small pieces.

Teresa Quilts said...

Love that painting, and congratulations on the wonderful news about the fabric. It will be beautiful! You did a great job on the Barbie dresses. Princess will be very happy.

Pat Merkle said...

The painting and the fabric are fabulous.

The Barbie dresses are wonderful. What a great Uncle you are!!!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful painting, and she did a marvelous job capturing the palette. Those Barbie clothes are certainly "transcendent" as well! Your niece will be thrilled!

Petit Design Co. said...

you are such an awesome uncle! I'm sure the Princess will love them. There are some thins just worth buying, and barbie clothes might be one of them :)

I love your painting and it's so fun to see a fabric palette from your painting.

jdqltr said...

You are amazing!!! Barbie dresses??? Wow! Loved the tutorial. The granddaugher is not old enough yet for Barbie, but I have box on them that use to belong to her mom.... Barbie dresses are in my future! Thanks for the great post.

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

That is wonderful news!! Congratulations!!

Rhonda said...

Gene, you are a gem. Those clothes are way too expensive. Your niece will be thrilled and don't be surprised if she will be expecting more.....SMILES!!
Congratulations on the honors!

Barb said...

Gene, that is soooooo incredible and awesome!!! Congrats to you for being such an inspiration. I went over there and her fabrics are just to drool over. She matched up your painting so well. Maybe you can transform your painting into a quilt?

Love the Barbie Clothes.

Snoodles said...

Congrats on your "own" fabrics....I hopped over there, and wow! They are gorgeous. Your outfits for Barbie are super - great job!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Congrats Gene!!! Your painting is beautiful and what a beautiful job she did in capturing those colors!

You are truly a 'great' uncle...those Barbie clothes are so pretty...she's going to be thrilled with them!!!

Melissa said...

Ok, you might be the sweetest man ever! I won't even make my own daughter barbie clothes! WOW!

And the fabric...what can I say, the painting is amazing and the fabric is fantastic - congratulations!

Beth said...

Great Barbie clothes. She will be so excited

Barbara said...

Wow, Barbie is dressed in style, congrats for persisting and being so successful! I know from experience that making doll clothes is an exercise in frustration, but you have conquered that! I am in love with "Transcend", is there a print available!? My favorite flower and vibrant GB color. Makes me smile!

Linda C said...

Your painting is beautiful, Gene and I will go over to see what Vickie did with it in translation in a minute.

Believe it or not, I first learned to sew age 11 or 12 making Barbie doll clothes. I got one late in life compared to other girls but I guess cutting off sock cuffs and making spaghetti straps out of several thickness of thread convinced my mom I was ready for the big time. LOL. It was a wonder I ever sewed again---all those itty bitty pieces!

Well done, you! I think that striped fabric that you used MAY be what I used for binding on a recent Christmas quilt though I cut mine on the bias?? (Old Michael Miller piece I found at Wilson's in Boaz)

Michelle said...

Expensive...and ugly! At least compared to the vintage Barbie clothes, which I absolutely love. Or maybe they've improved since my girl stopped playing with her Barbies.

Tried sewing pants for her yet? That's really fun! :-)