Saturday, April 05, 2014

Looming Large

This has become an exiting time in my life. It has been a bit thought provoking and a time of exploration.  You see I have made a major decision that will affect me for years to come.  After much deliberation and a good bit of number crunching, I have decided to retire from my day job!  In May, I will have completed my 25 years of service and will be eligible to retire.  This will change my daily life as well as my level of income.  I am confident that this is the right decision.  So on June first, I will begin life as a retiree. Can I get a Whoop Whoop!!! ?   Yes, June first is looming large.

I will have more time to play with quilting and making quilts, like these:


I will also have more time to weave on my looms.  Currently, there is a lovely scarf in mostly fall colors on the Cricket rigid heddle loom.

In my mind, weaving is very much like quilting in that, I get to choose the colors and the designs.  This particular piece is very free-form like much of my quilting.  The person I am making it for said "Make it in fall colors. Brown is one of my favorite colors."  So there are several browns in the warp -from chocolate to mocha. There is also a variegated yarn that has tans, gray and a bit or orange in it. I just had to add a few boucle (homespun type) strands in a variegated orange also.  To me, fall has lots of orange and brown.  However, there are some gray skies and sometimes a perfect fall day has bright blue. So, there are inclusions of bits of blue.
In my mind, this scarf has a name - Fall Fantasy. This is not a colorway I would have done on my own, but I am really loving it.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

20 comments:

Barb said...

Whoop!!! Whoop!!!!

Looking forward to many more of your lovely creations!!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Definitely worth a WHOOP! I love your current looming project - so rich in nature's colours.

Marjorie said...

Big, big whoop! You are going to be so happy to be able to create when you please. Congrats.

Vicki W said...

That is awesome! As one who has already been through it, you will be ever so happy!

Linda C said...

You will most definitely get a whoop whoop from me. I retired when we moved down here to AL though I think at times DJ would have preferred that I be an earner for a bit longer. He promised I could retire and he'd keep me in fabric and I held it to it!

Life is too short not to be enjoying what each day can bring away from the paying gig. You are probably going to be busier than you were when working. It happens.

Beth said...

Woop Woop!!!!

I would not usually gravitate toward those colors, but wow what you have put together is amazingly beautiful. It really does say fall in the best possible way.

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Whoop Whoop!!! Best wishes for many fun, and creative, times ahead!!! My husband and I have been enjoying the 'retired life' for years now and love every minute of it :)

Jean said...

Congratulations!! Yes, you may be busier than when you were working, but you can work when and where you want to. You do beautiful, creative work and shouldn't lack for orders. One caution, don't schedule so much you get stressed out filling orders.

Barbara Arcement said...

congrats on being able to retire. It is a whole new world. You will wonder how you ever had time to go to work! LOL. Can't wait to see all the weaving and quilting you will be sharing with us.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Whoop Whoop!!! Congratulations Gene on your decision to retire! I know you must be excited about it - I know I would be (but I have quite a few years left). Big decision and as you said, life changing in more ways than one.

sewyouquilt2 said...

whoop whoop!! congrats on your retirement! how exciting to look forward to June and the retired life. I am afraid I will be working till I drop. LOL gotta pay for my quilt habit.
the scarf is gorgeous as as your other creations. great job!
and congrats again. so excited for you.

Micki said...

Congrats on your retirement! You will be starting a wonderful chapter in your life. I know how much we enjoyed our retirement!
Micki

suemac said...

Congrats on your retirement. I am hoping to retire in a year. Right now I enjoy my job and I like who I work with so I am not totally chomping at the bit.

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on your decision Gene. I send you all best wishes for this next phase and look forward to seeing all you create.

I owe you a design and color choice for my scarf. We had a death in the family and I've been a bit distracted.

Kathleen said...

Congrats on your big decision! With your talents, you will have no trouble keeping busy in retirement. I am certain of that.

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Whoop Whoop! Congrats on your upcoming retirement. I know you will enjoy having the time to create and play.

Barbara said...

It's gorgeous Gene. The blue strands are the finishing touches. I have a feeling your retirement will be in name only since I'm sure you will work just as hard at creating. However, you will surely enjoy every minute!

kathyinozarks said...

whoop whoop and happy dancin for ya-retirement was the best thing I ever did for myself-I had 25 years in with the phone company as an operator and had to commute quite a distance.
fall colors are my absolute favorite colors-and I have made allot of quilts with those I am loving the edition of the bright blue for those gorgeous fall skies-brilliant Gene

Regina said...

Congrats on the retirement decision!!! I foresee my future as working until I die :( I will have to live through you Gene!

JJ said...

You lucky dog. I would love to retire and I am excited for you. I know this comment is on an older post but I don't have time to read blogs and when I do I try to catch up on what I have missed. I am excited to see all the projects you will be doing.