Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Tool Making

As quilters and crafters we buy lots of tools.  Some of them are expensive and some are not so expensive. But sometimes we "make do" if we can.   Do you use a stiletto?

I have been "making do" by using my seam ripper as a stiletto.
Jack the Seam Ripper
But that is not his real job....

So,  I had seen turkey lacers used as a base to make a stiletto.  One day when I was shopping I found some.  Uh, I won't mention how long ago this was.  When I looked up the directions, they mentioned a loop at one end.  My pieces didn't have a loop, just a bent end. Sigh!

Time to rethink it.  I got my round nose pliers and made small loops at the bent end.  Then I got out some of my polymer clay that was pre conditioned.  (again let's not mention how long ago!)  I started playing with the clay.  Some of it was already semi-designed in layers. Some of the colors were pre-mixed.  I just played with it.
 I was having fun so I didn't mind that this probably took an hour, the time just slipped away.
Later that afternoon,  I baked the clay.  The next day I added a gloss coat to them.

Here are the six stilettos I made.
If you were given the chance to have one, which would you choose?  I have already picked my favorite.
Later on there just may be a giveaway.  So speak up!

Of course the word "Stiletto" always makes think of this song:

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

18 comments:

teachpany said...

Those look like fun. I really like the blue/white one on the left. The others are pretty, too.

Mego said...

What a great idea! I like the blue and white one with the silver beads. They are ALL so pretty. My stiletto is brass...an old one from Eleanor Burns...it doesn't have a loop on the end...hmmmmmmmm.

Dot Moore said...

I like the red one. So pretty.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I got my turkey lacers thru a kitchen supply store - a gross was cheaper than what you buy a package in a grocery store. And they had the loop ends. But making do works just lovely.

suemac said...

I like the one with the four red beads. Very cute.

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

What a great project…love the blue and white swirl best…thanks for sharing :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the green one.

Barbara Arcement said...

You are so talented. It is fun to visit your blog because there is always something new!
I love the blue and white one on the left the best. They are all very pretty!
hugs
beebee
PS are you going to the quilt show in Paducah? I plan to be there!

Barbara said...

I must be so out of the loop, the only "stiletto" I knew about was a super high-heeled woman's shoe, of which I own none! So I googled and learned how these are made and used for sewing. I can picture it, and also can see how a seam ripper would suffice. My seam rippers are always breaking though, so I really need one of these to preserve what seam rippers I have. I love the one with the metal embellishment to the left of center most. You are so creative!

Linda C said...

I love that you found some time to play with this idea, Gene. They are all quite pretty but if I were be "forced" to choose, then I would go for the 2nd from the left with the red beads.

I do use a stiletto when I think about it and have a brass one in a case even and another one from Clover. You are right though---the tip of the ripper will work in a pinch.

Snoodles said...

Wow, you are indeed resourceful! I bet you had fun creating those! That's such a cool one on the far right....they are all pretty!

c said...

Love the red one, would like the green one to go with my pink sewing room, thank you Talented Gene for the chacne

aka kingcooper0001@aol.com

Margie said...

Ohhh I like them all!!! Now I know where my turkey basters are but where is my clay. Or maybe that is the other way around. Can never have enough stilettos. Am going to pin your picture!! Thanks

Kathleen said...

wow, they are all nice...great job. I like the 2nd from the left with the pink balls...so pretty...

Kathleen said...

Nice work Gene, as usual! I like the one on the far right the best. I usually use a flower head pin as a stiletto. Not very effective but the are always at hand!

Bonnie said...

They are all very pretty. I like the 4th one from the left with the red white and blue. I think I have some of those lacers somewhere in my collection of stuff.

Beth said...

They are all so pretty.
I made those too. Only I used beads that I purchased. I gave all of mine away except for one.
You are so very creative.

Micki said...

I like the blue and red, but they are all beautiful.
Micki