Sunday, March 30, 2014

More Fun Piecing

This method of piecing that I recently learned is lots of fun.  I am continuing to use the hand dyed fabrics along with more salvaged shirt fabrics.
I am really happy to save the shirt fabrics.  There are also some buttons piling up since it is difficult to discard perfectly good buttons. (have you priced buttons lately???)

Saturday night, I pulled out a piece of the hand dyed fabric and almost said "I can't cut into this!"  I mean really.  Just look at this piece- it is two pictures but it was one long piece of fabric.

"fire" fabric



 But I was courageous and started cutting.  Then I started piecing it with the shirt pieces. Rather than just a blue pinpoint oxford, I decided to use a very pale yellow with a pattern that is barely there.

 Wow!  It made me so happy to mix up the background pieces. You know that I can't follow any muse but my own. The total solid background on this just wasn't going to work for me.  Ha ha.  Not to mention that I had a limited amount of the blue. I think it really kicked it up a bit



What do you think?  And don't you love the hand dyed "fire" fabric.  I have no idea what Vicki calls that particular coloring but it has a great "wow" factor in person.  *edit note: Vicki says that this is the Sundance Gradient. 

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

7 comments:

suemac said...

Her fabric really has a wow factor. I have some other fabric in blue and black that are graduations. Look like a cloudy and sunny day skies.

Vicki W said...

These are cool! That particular fabric is the waste fabric from the Sundance gradient.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Beautiful! What a wonderful way to highlight the hand dyed fabric.

Barbara said...

I would also have hesitated to cut onto that fabric, especially the one with purples. But what you did with it is so special, and you know I'm loving this non-pattern, ummmmm, pattern! The price of buttons these days is indeed high, just keep saving them!

Rhonda said...

Great job Gene...with cutting into the fabric and the creative results. Love both!!

Beth said...

Love both pieces. I probably would have just put that pretty piece away. I have some that I just keep saving for that reason.
Keep piecing.

kathyinozarks said...

looking good, and I have made allot of quilts from mens shirts-I pick them up at the resale shops for less than a dollar usually and only buy the xxl on up-lots of fabric for the price.
when I made my first gradation of hand dyes-beginners luck-they turned out so gorgeous-I just couldn't cut into them for a few years later-so I know the feeling
I save all the buttons too