Sunday, August 03, 2014

Kai

Saturday I went to a "kai" which is a weaving group of sorts.  We did weaving, talking, sharing and just had a great time.
I wove this section of fabric on my loom.  (it is wonderful to have a portable loom)
And the bit at the top is something called 'sakiori' - a technique using thinly cut strips of fabric as weaving yarn. I used a batik and a floral. Here is a close up



The floral is one from a trip to Mexico; it wasn't quite sturdy enough for quilting - so this adds it to my cloth for garment making.  I will probably combine this cloth with some of the cloth from my previous post. I am thinking "shirt" at this moment.

I promise that I have not abandoned quilting.  Oh far from it.  I have plans and ideas brewing.  So stay tuned.

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

7 comments:

Beth said...

a weaving bee. LOL I am sure it was lots of fun with a good measure of laughter. Love what you wove

suemac said...

It sounds so meditative.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

How fun to be able to go and join a group of people who love to do what you do...inspiring I'm sure.

Your work is beautiful! I'm not surprised one little bit either.

Smiles,
Kelly

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Gene I ran into this neat weaving site http://curiousweaver.id.au/what-is-saori

kathyinozarks said...

oh I love the idea of using fabric in weaving (beside in rugs) do you sew the strips together or just lay them in the shed

Jeanna said...

It's great to see you are still weaving Gene. I'm so behind on blogging and I've missed your posts. Looking forward to catching up over the next few days.

Sarah said...

These large fabrics you are making are gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you do with them.