Sunday, May 03, 2015

First May Finish

I have my very first finish for this month of May.  

For years I have not been able to knit.  It seemed I just couldn't "get " it. So, a while back, I tried and had a minimal success. But I didn't like or enjoy it.  On April 30th I woke up feeling pretty sick.   I didn't want to do much, but I needed something to keep my hands busy.  So I watched a video on "How to Knit"  on Youtube.  I realized that I had been doing it wrong!  No wonder it wasn't enjoyable.  I got my needles and a ball of cotton yarn and started following the directions.  It was so much easier and my dishcloth started growing.  Even better, it looked right.
Sunday May 3rd,  I finished knitting the last rows and did the binding off before leaving for church.   After church, I wove the ends into the fabric I had knitted.
I know it isn't perfect, but it makes me happy!  I love the way the variegated yarn knitted up in this pattern.  I think this will be the first of many.

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

14 comments:

Barbara said...

YAY You!!!

Marjorie said...

WTG, that is one of my favorite knitting patterns. So glad you're enjoying it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the variegated yarn too. I like to see when it seems to puddle one color in an area and spread out in other areas. I would have a hard time sticking with it if I used plain color yarn.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your dishcloth turned out VERY nice!! I'm so glad you finally "get" it - ;)) Knitting can be VERY relaxing and the yarn choices are wonderful these days. I knit RIGHT-handed because my mother taught me and I crochet LEFT-handed because I taught myself - ;))

Jeanna said...

Great job, Gene. I couldn't knit for many years. I understood the stitches but I could never get my tension right. We have a group of ladies at work that knit helmet liners for the soldiers. I always want to join them and one of them offered to teach me. The thing that made the difference for me was using circular needles.

I've made several items now using circular needles even when they aren't required.

barbarab said...

And a new adventure begins! Sweaters! Socks! Lace! Onward!

Barbara Arcement said...

you did a great job knitting! I love these wash cloths for dishwashing! I have bought several from a lady. She uses only 100 % cotton. I may give it a try someday

kathy said...

I didn't get knitting until I was an exchange student in finland.
I like circular needles too.

Marlene said...

These are, in my opinion, the absolute BEST dish cloths. I used to knit them for my own home but now I have an adult daughter that loves to knit these, and only these, so I buy the cotton yarn and let her do them.

craftspacecontinuum said...

Good on you, looks great! I think these are the best dish cloths but also for face cloths too. Knitting can be soooo much fun : )

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Your dish cloth looks great. These are the best dish cloths ever and a great way to learn to knit. I often make new patterns that I want to try into dish cloths. Then I know if I want to make something bigger from the pattern. Knitting is so relaxing and fun.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Boy-howdy, it's so pretty. My favorite colors too, Gene. I've seen that pattern but never tried it. I find knitting to be hard too, so I must not be doing it correctly... As I once saw in a birthday card "There's still time to prevent a shutout!" so maybe someday...

Average Quilter said...

good job. you know what they say - paractice makes perfect. Do you crochet?

Rhonda said...

Glad you're feeling better. What makes one happy is all that really matters! Take care my friend!!