Saturday, November 28, 2015

Free Motion Practice

As a relaxing activity after two days of Thanksgiving hubbub,  I decided to take a pieced block and do some free motion quilting play.  So I layered the square with backing and batting to make a mug rug.  I left the backing larger to use as binding (but I didn't make it wide enough.)
I did some good and some not so good free motion quilting.
Then I pulled the backing around and attempted to make a nice binding with it.....Oh well!  I think it could look a lot better. But I did get that FMQ practice done and made into a usable piece.

I have also been weaving on a warp I got in an exchange.
Pink is so not a color I love - but this piece is helping me love to work with pink.  When I got the warp, I thought it was mostly red and yellow.  But there was a lot of pink in it also.  So I decided to embrace the colors of the warp and try to stay with the warp colors for weaving. I have added a little and used a few deeper versions of the warp colors.  The truth is this: I love how this looks.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

8 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

awesome weaving so far-and great way to practice and have something to use in the end as well

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think you are doing a great job with color choices for the weaving.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You and your dang Squirrels!! I'm not a PINK lover either, but I LOVE the pink-orange-yellow weaving - it just SINGS!! And your Free Motion Practice piece has me thinking that I could use some 5" charms to make a placemat or two (or a table topper/runner) to use for practice - practice - practice - ;))

suemac said...

Pink and purple. How can you go wrong with those colors.

Marlene said...

The weaving is lovely Gene. Reminds me of the colours in a sunset.

Kathleen said...

I think you did a nice job on your FMQ practice piece. I like what you did in the yellow block.

Jeanna said...

Free motion is so not my thing. I think it definitely requires more 'artistic' ability than I possess. You'll get it though, Gene. You are a true artist.

Love the fabric on the loom.

Rhonda said...

Great quilting practice!! Your weaving is looking good.