Saturday, November 14, 2015

Sam and His Puppy

It is interesting how things happen to start a creative journey.  One of my friends mentioned that she using an Accuquilt Go design for creating something out of a completely different medium.   A day or so passed and the thought was evidently simmering in my brain. It was in the subconscious - and I was not actively thinking about it.   In fact, I was working on a weaving project.  But it was there, lurking, brewing up an idea.  I don't remember exactly what I was planning, but WHAM!  There it was and I raced over to my collection of cutting dies.  I pulled out four different dies - then I sat an looked at them.  I had the *dog, *cat, *Overall Sam* and a *bird.  
Each, alone, was a bit small for my idea. ***********WAIT! If I put Sam and the dog together??????  Okay it is worth cutting some fabric to see.

I picked out pieces of pre-fused fabric and cut the pieces.  I took them to the ironing station (aka the ironing board in the "spare" room.  (spare? Ha!)  I put down some release paper and fuse tacked the pieces together lightly. Hmm.....I pulled the pants part away and trimmed it down. I took the suspender bit and made a belt from it.  (Never forget you have creative control and options!) He is now just "Sam" as he is no longer in overalls.  I prepared a background with "grass" and "sky" fabrics and fused it all together on a piece of quilt batting.

I used a colored pencil to add the puppy's eye and nose, but I will probably thread paint those areas when I sew and quilt it.

It is not a great work of art, but it will be cute for some little boy to have in his room.  It needs to be embellished and quilted - But isn't it cute?

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

6 comments:

KB said...

He's adorable!

kathyinozarks said...

I love it Gene-Sam and Sue are my favorites too

Lynn said...

It's darling!

Petit Design Co. said...

My little boy saw this on my phone and he said "aww that's so cute!" I agree :)

Linda C said...

I love what you came up with! You have such a good eye for color and composition, Gene. Sweet!

Susan said...

Very cute!