Friday, June 22, 2018

Shirt "Upgrade" & Comments fixed-maybe

I have taken a brief sidestep and fixed a shirt which had a very frayed collar.  I confess that I will wear something until it falls apart and even then I don't want to give it up.



Look how badly the collar has frayed.   I grabbed three of my seam rippers and eased the threads holding the collar on apart. 

Each one of those were used as they are all a little bit different.
Pretty quickly it was separated from the shirt.


I used this foot whatever it is called - Maybe an edge joining foot? It allows me to stitch very close to the edge.  So I sewed the collar opening closed.
And the shirt is ready to wear for a few more months or maybe years ? LOL. 
Oh by the way, when you do a lot of seam ripping there is one tool that I find very handy.  It is this really sticky lint roller.
It grabs most of those bits and helps with the "mess."

I saw a solution for blogger comments at Jeanna's blog.  So here is a link to that post. I think it has worked from my blog.
Have a great weekend my friends!


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

Jeanna said...

Great job, Gene. The shirt looks brand new. I have a large supply of lint rollers. One in every car, a few in my sewing room and a few more in my closet. They are a wonderful multi-use tool.

Enjoy your weekend.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You are so clever!! Who needs a collar anyway? - Now I have to ask - why 3 different seam rippers? - ;))

Joyce Carter said...

What a clever idea!! I think it looks awesome. I really love the way it looks. I never would have thought of this and I have been sewing garments for over 50 years. Thank you for sharing your ideas.
(I, too, am wondering why it takes 3 different seam rippers.)

Debbie said...

kkI use to use that foot a lot when making clothing. Great job on the shirt....I hate to give up favorites. Yes, so glad someone shared the fix for the comments. The universe is in alignment now:)

Kathleen said...

Looks great! I recently did the same thing with one of my mom's blouses. She too will wear her clothes thin! But she loved this particular blouse but I did not love seeing her ragged. So off came the collar!

Julie Fukuda said...

One of my childhood duties, as the oldest daughter in the family, was turning collars. I didn't know people still did that.
How did you fix the comments? and ... did it work?

Barb said...

I have read a lot of book in the 1800 and they turn the collar...they made do and did some amazing work such as yourself. I am likeyou....if I like something you will probably see me in it a few times a week.

Frog Quilter said...

Fabulous job on the shirt re-do. You just can't beat clothes that are comfortable and feel great.

Edgar said...

OMG I'm exactly the same way - I'll wear and wear and wear something until it is literally falling apart... and then still wear it !! I have so many shirts that I will NOT give up that have "collar" issues and even a small hole or two!! I figure so long as they're clean and pressed they're good to go.... :)