Tuesday, July 10, 2018

A Bit more on the Grid


I worked on the dimensional grid project and really didn't like how it was coming out.  So I stepped back and just took a break.  I had used a black yarn with a slub in it. The thought was that it would add interest.  Nope, it just looked messy.
There was also some problem with the stitching - I did nothing to fix it after I quit in disgust.  But it seems fine now.

So I took a different yarn/thread and tripled it to couch over the existing lines. Here are the two threads.
The slubby thread is on the bottom, the one that I tripled is on top.

I went back in and couched right over the slubby thread.  (since this is an experimental piece I am NOT ripping out all those zigzag couching stitches.)

I think it looks better. Can you tell which lines I haven't done yet?
If you are thinking lower left corner you would be right.
Now, do I couch all the other lines?  Do I use the black or perhaps try to match the color in the blocks? Hmmmm... time will tell.  Feel free to let me know which you think would be best and why.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. However at this time Blogger is not notifying me of comments. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Hmmmm - VERY interesting!! I don't think I would couch the rest of the seams - but I might "quilt" lines using black thread. That way they would "show" but not overpower the ones that are couched. But I'm more interested in what YOU are going to do with it - that artistic brain of yours always comes up with something wonderful - ;))

Joyce Carter said...

I like the way the extra black yarn looks. It makes each section really stand out. So I think I would continue using it.

Julie Fukuda said...

I like the couching but I could never imagine doing it by machine. I. too, wonder how this will end up.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Interesting effects. No clue what to do next. If you don't like the end result, at least you've learned some things, and, it can be used for something else (jumbo hot pad, part of a bag, etc).

Pamela Arbour said...

It looks good like it is but I think I would couch the rest with the extra yarn, but that is just me. I definitely wouldn't take the first yard out!