Saturday, July 21, 2018

A Bit of Play

This morning I wanted to do some artistic play, nothing too involved, just a few minutes of play time. So I pulled out an old art project that didn't work and started playing with it.  I got out my Inktense pencils. They are a water activated pencil that becomes permanent when dry.
The old project involved taking a painting that didn't work and using it as the background to collage pieces of other paintings that didn't work.  Since my art tends to be experimental art, I have lots of pieces that have interesting parts even when the entire painting doesn't work out.

Unfortunately there is no "before" picture.  This is not a finished painting.  I am still searching for an Ah-Ha! moment with it. Some paintings sit for years unfinished before that moment comes.  Anyway, here is the current state of the painting.
Looking at it now, I think that I could  go in and do more stamping to bring the background and foreground together.  The stamps that were stamped on the background art are my own hand carved stamps.
Stamping over the added pieces could be a mistake - but I won't know unless I try it. I could also layer on some of the "rocks" that I created to use in collage.  There are so many possibilities.  I can't try them all.  But some of them can be "auditioned" before making them final.  The stamping is not one of those. Once I stamp the paint or permanent ink on there - it can only be painted over.  It can not be removed.
So I will put this aside for now. But one day, I will look back at it once again and do more experimentation with it.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. However at this time Blogger is not notifying me of comments. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

Too cool Gene. I love the look. I've never heard of the pencils you're using and will have to seek them out.

Pamela Arbour said...

You must have a large studio to allow you to keep your works in progress. I like it as it is but I am sure you will come up with something when the time comes.

Joyce Carter said...

Gene, those pieces are absolutely beautiful just as they are and I wouldn't do anything else to them. But that is just me. You are the talented painter so I am sure you will come up with something fantastic.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Interesting - it will be fun to see the final result of your "experiment" - when you get done playing - ;))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Guess what I took to the Michigan TOGA? Your peanut butter cream cheese frosting on a triple chocolate fudge cake. It was a hit!

Marlene said...

I like it the way it is, and personally I'd be afraid that stamping over it would cause you to lose some of the dimensionality of it. But if you don't *love* it the way it is perhaps that is your muse urging you to take it further? Have fun with it and be sure to show us the end result.

Barb said...

You will probably see it in a different way when you pull it out again....