Monday, July 30, 2018

A Coin Trick

Sewing more of the coins led me to try something else.  This is so much fun when you ask yourself "what if?" and the allow yourself the freedom to play.











Do you see the angled coins?

They are the new trick. It is simple to do and adds even more movement and interest to your fun artsy scrappy quilt

Learn from my mistake here.  I used four strips 6 inches wide as I was trimming the coin stacks to 5 1/2 inches.  Don't use an even number (like four.)
Take three strips that are at least half an inch wider than your finished unit.  Stack them in a neat pile
Then place your ruler on them at an angle leaving more than 1/4" inch from the cut edge at each end. Like this:
The reason for more than 1/4 inch is for the seam and to make it easier to sew.  If you want to make it hard on yourself, well go ahead, but I don't want to hear your complaining later!

Cut on the angledline.
Take the top stack and move the top strip to the bottom.
Now the layers are all mixed up.  Take the stacks carefully to the machine and match the top one of one stack with the top one of the other stack and sew.  You will get three different combinations.
Hmmm, looks like I didn't press those very well....but you get the idea.  Now for a more scrappy look, put those far from each other in the quilt top.
Now wasn't that easy!

I am still working on learning to play the ukulele.  I hope you enjoy this.  But if you don't, well, as Granny said "If you can't say anything nice, just don't say anything at all."
And if you made it this far, I will point you to a new page tab on my blog:

Quilt ¿Rules?

It is up in the top navigation bar, but I thought it was worth highlighting today.  
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. However at this time Blogger is not notifying me of comments. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

Dot Moore said...

Love your Uke and singing. Did you write the song? Coins looking good.

Jeanna said...

Great coin trick, Gene. I like the quilt rules page, too. And...you already know what I think about your playing and singing...keep up the good work.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your "Coin" trick - it's a great way to get some movement and variety! And thank you for sharing the video - I love your ukulele playing and singing - that song is one of my favorites. Your "Quilt Rules?" is very thought-provoking. As a CPA I obviously had a LOT of rules to follow - the IRS was funny that way - LOL - but as a quilter I find that I "break" a lot of them quite regularly - and it IS empowering - ;))

Kathleen said...

Thanks for sharing your voice and your uke. You have a very pleasant singing voice.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Hubby is supposed to be learning how to play the banjo, but, he keeps forgetting to practice. I've never been a rule follower. I've changed things in pretty much every quilt pattern I've ever used. I even change things after I've drawn up my own quilt patterns. More fun to try something new/different. I don't want my stuff to be like everyone else's stuff.