Thursday, July 26, 2018

Coin Quilt - Squirrel!

Since A Left-Handed Quilter and I have chatted about coin quilts - the Coin Quilt Squirrel has been nipping at my ankles.  I have made one coin quilt before and I enjoyed it.
I looked in my stash and found lots of strips to play with.
Most of these are 2 1/2" jelly roll strips, but I have lots of scraps that will get used also. But we all know that using scraps somehow makes them multiply. It is a bit like getting Gremlins wet (movie reference.)

There is a previously unopened Bon Voyage jelly roll in there.
Hmmmm, it is open now!
There is also most of a 2 1/2" roll of shot cottons. I love the color shimmer those have.
And there is part of a jelly roll that I have used in another project - I don't remember the name of it but it may be Millie's Closet.
Then I chose a gray fabric to use as background.

I just started grabbing strips and cutting roughly 5 3/4" pieces to join and then join more together.
Some of them are sewn at a bit of an angle to make it more interesting. I think it makes the coin stacks look like they are leaning.
On this one I had already trimmed one side and realized I should have taken a before picture.  So as I trimmed the next section.  I did a before photo.

I am trimming these to 5 1/2" wide.  Although I may make varying widths as I go along. The advantage to making the pieces a bit longer than you want is the freedom in piecing.  If you are angling pieces it is necessary.
Then I sewed all of these together. But first I cut one strip in half to make a thinner coin and added it.
After all, every coin is not the same thickness.
On some I will do another "trick" that will also show another difference in coins.

I will not be rushing through this quilt as I am slowing down a bit on sewing and weaving so I can work on TWO other things.
1. A friend in my fitness/flexibility class has offered to work with me on Spanish. (yaay!)
2. I am learning to play the ukulele.  That means lots of time spent practicing.

Both of those things will help with retaining mental acuity.  So far, both of them are really enjoyable. Learning more Spanish -and having someone to practice it with- will help the next time I go to Mexico. And even more so if the time comes when I can live my dream of retiring there.

Learning the ukulele is also fun since I have always loved music.  Just be warned that I may post a recording or two and "torture" you in the process.

What do you do to keep your mind sharp? It is an important thing to do to fight aging.  My personal goal is to never act like an "old person."

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. However at this time Blogger is not notifying me of comments. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

Jeanna said...

I dare say, Gene, that I do not imagine you ever acting like one of those OP. Spanish will certainly come in handy on our next trip and for sure if you ever move to Mexico. Can't wait to hear you play the ukulele.

Barb Neiwert said...

I must say, reading through some quilting patterns helps keep my brain engaged, lol! I do Sudoku and crossword puzzles, tax my brain trying to operate my quilting machine, and try to figure out how to do curved piecing and foundation paper piecing, All worthy efforts! My husband recently retired and wants to learn the guitar. Guess I should find him an instructor. Have fun with your Coins and lessons.

Linda C said...

Never rest on your laurels and keep learning! You certainly are doing that.

Vicki W said...

I think exercise and staying mentally engaged, no matter how, is what's important. You will be forever young!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your little "coins" tutorial - I was going to "mix it up a little" as I went along - and like your variations. Wide/narrow - short/tall - straight/slanted - etc.

Trying to keep my brain working -
Learning new things helps - unless it's computer stuff - and that gets frustrating at times. I like Sudoku puzzles and playing "Words With Friends" on my tablet in the evenings. Spanish - took two years of it in high school and a semester in college - but don't remember much these days. I'm glad you have someone to "practice" with - it should make it easier to learn the pronunciation and intonation - so you don't sound like a "tourist" - LOL - ;))

Julie Fukuda said...

The last time I used Spanish, was at the Tokyo Olympics in the 60's. We don't hear it here in Tokyo these days ... Chinese is the street language most likely to be heard. I do think learning ... or just trying new things is good for the brain, and my dog makes me step outside several times a day.

Pamela Arbour said...

I like your squirrel fabrics! I am looking forward to seeing it finished. Scrap quilts are my favorite.

In my mind, I am still 28. Sometimes my body has to remind me that I have long left that reality, but I still try to keep my mind active like 28 and keep my body moving! I don't want to be an old person either. It is my goal to live to be at least 100 and active in mind and body. We'll see!

Barbara said...

Reconnecting with your blog, Gene. I was distracted for awhile with other necessities, but am back. I’ve realized my current passion for strip blocks is akin to coins. If we feel younger than our bodies say we are in years, we’ve succeeded in “staying young”. Staying busy, exercising the body and mind, are important. I like Word games most too.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My body acts like it is way older than I am (neuropathy in the feet, leg problems, etc) so, that part really needs some help. I am always trying new things, especially in sewing, to keep my brain active. I should be upstairs in my sewing room, learning new ways to make flying geese, so that I can teach several different methods to my little quilt guild on Monday night (I have to learn them first). I also do lots of puzzles on the computer, etc. With Alzheimer's in my family, I try hard to keep my brain fit.