Saturday, July 28, 2018

Coin Play

This morning I grabbed some strips from the jelly rolls and cut off 18 inch pieces from several strips.  Then I grabbed some scraps and ironed them flat.  Strips six inches long were cut from all of them and placed by the sewing machine. I started just grabbing what I thought looked good and sewing strips together.   I specifically cut the strips into different widths for more variety.

Coin quilts are more interesting if you make them very scrappy and repeat fabrics sparingly. Of course, it is normal to use favorite fabrics more than once.  It is also normal to repeat fabrics that you are trying to use up.  (Hint: make a pieced backing to use some of those that are excessive.)

I also used some pieces that I cut off the scraps that were "too short" for a coin.  The trick is to use some background fabric on one or both ends to make a short coin work. The background fabric on the ends will blend in when you put the quilt together.
I did a little "mock-up" just laying the pieces on some of the background fabric so you can see.
As you can see that will add another dimension to the stacks of coins. You can also sew several of those together and have a very roughly stacked appearance.  I may do a stack of those for the middle or the back of the quilt.
Coin quilts are simple and fun. After all, we all need a bit of playtime.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. However at this time Blogger is not notifying me of comments. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Ha! I love your "short" coin trick - VERY clever! I'm afraid my "Coin Quilt" is going to have a LOT of repeats - I'm trying to use up some batik scraps from another project - so we'll see how it goes - ;))

Rhonda said...

I don't think I've ever heard of coin quilts. This is very interesting my friend!!!

Julie Fukuda said...

Coins and crumbs ... it's amazing what a machine can do ... if you can get it to work, that is.

Debbie said...

Great examples. I do love sewing these. I often piece in similar fabrics to be a single strip too.

Barb said...

Love a little play time...and your coins.

Jeanna said...

Coins are another trick for using up scraps...I haven't tried that one yet but will add it to my list. I still have two bins and a large bag of scraps to sort. I'll be on the look out for some potential coins. I know I have an ugly jelly roll somehwere.