Saturday, August 18, 2018

A Different Project


As you may know,  I don't ever just stick to one project until it is finished.  So today - and probably a couple of days next week - I am working on my special summer project.  Back in 2011, I made this project for the first time.   Today as I have done every year since, I made fig preserves.  After making the first batch or two using the strawberry jello trick, I realized that I could use pretty much any flavor of jello and even add spices if I wanted to do so. 

Today's jars are already sealed. They sealed within minutes of removal from the boiling water bath.

Did you count them?  Yes!  There are seven - plus I had about a quarter cup left for tomorrow's breakfast. Excellent. 

I know that you can not tell by looking at the pictures just what flavor I decided to use this time.  But one flavor that I have used and don't have to add any spices to "jazz up" is this one.
It is also really nice when I want to make a PBJ for lunch.  One thought I had as I was cooking it down was this: "Some real grape juice added to this might punch it up a bit."
As you may have noticed I like to play with my food when I am cooking/canning/baking.  That creative spirit always loves to play.  I think that is how my best recipes evolve. 

I have done a little bit on the coins quilt but not really photo worthy at this point. I will get back to it soon though.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. However at this time Blogger is not notifying me of comments. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

Looks delicious Gene. And what a great tip about the jello. I'll have to remember that one.

Jeanna said...

I love fig preserves. My grandmother had two trees in her yard and we always had preserves. So good on a hot buttered buttermilk biscuit. It is a rare occasion now that we get REAL fig preserves. Enjoy!

Judy H said...

I hop from project to project too! I figure that way I won't get bored.

Lyndsey said...

Project hopping is the best way to go. That way you never get bored but sometimes I have trouble deciding what to work on. Fig preserves are so tasty and yours look delicious.

Pamela Arbour said...

I think fig preserves are my favorite. I like them on buttered toast. I just don't eat them anymore because I try to stay away from sugar. Thanks for the memory!

Barbara said...

Sounds delicious, no matter how you tweak the recipe!

Marlene said...

So do you have a fig tree Gene? Figs are rather rare around here. I don't think I've ever seen a real fig tree and the figs in stores are just the dried and packaged kind.