Tuesday, August 07, 2018

A New Plan - Fresh Bread

First let me tell you that I made a second loaf of the Artisan Bread.  The first time, I followed the directions exactly and got a good loaf of bread.  So, I knew that the recipe works.

Take Two:   Now, I can play with the recipe.  For this version, I used one cup of plain white flour, one cup of "Better for Bread" flour, and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour -and just to be a bit crazy- and 1/4 cup of Buttermilk Cornmeal mix. (You know I am a Southern guy, right?)  I used some extra yeast - basically all that was left in the packet after making the other loaf. It was more than I expected to be in there. Ha ha. 
I put the full amount of water in the big liquid measuring cup and added about a cup of it first and then slowly added the rest. It took it all and maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons more.  This was due to the changes in flour and addition of the cornmeal mix. 
I also added some oregano and some Garlic and French herbs blend seasoning into the dough.  I let it rise overnight probably 14-16 hours - until it was convenient for me to bake it off.

I had already cut a piece before I remembered that I needed a photo.  That piece is now in my stomach. YUMMMMM.  This was a huge success.  Definitely "repeat worthy" in my opinion.

The coin quilt plan has been altered once more to allow my quilt-as-you-go plan to work without showing. 
There is the possibility of some green applique on the two gray lengthwise strips just to add another layer of design.  Time will tell.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. However at this time Blogger is not notifying me of comments. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

Quilting Tangent said...

A baker and quilter - Welcome.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your bread - what's left of it - looks YUMMY!! You do the same thing I do when I make a new recipe - the first time, I'll follow it to the letter - then the next time, I'll mix it up a little, changing this or that to suit my taste. Your "Coin Quilt" looks GREAT - I knew you would find a way to make your quilt-as-you-go technique work. And I like the gray strips just the way they are - but that's just me - ;))

Barbara said...

I love the way you change things, making them your own! if it’s something yummy to eat, all the better! Your very own! That bread is truly an artisan loaf, made by an artist!

Debbie said...

Sneaky you are...or maybe just quick. My second batch is in the bowl right now. I did 1/2 regular flour and 1/2 bread flour plus chopped rosemary. When I bake it I will add rosemary and sea salt to the top. Plan on using your idea of a pan of water too. Coin quilt layout is looking better and better.

Jocelyn said...

I have tried to make bread in the past, and have never been very successful. This recipe sounds really good, and maybe even easy 8-o Will give it a try.

Lyndsey said...

The bread looks delicious and the recipe sounds really good. I haven't made any bread recently but really enjoy the process when I do. Maybe start a batch this evening and also catch a little sewing.

Barb said...

Your talents are endless and I am starving for a slice of that bread.

Kathleen said...

That loaf of bread and description of it just makes my mouth water! I can't remember the last time I made bread. I used to enjoy it. Years ago, I tried a recipe from an Italian cookbook, and thought it bombed because it came out so hard. My parents were coming over for spaghetti dinner. I sliced and served the bread anyway. It was beautiful inside and my dad said it reminded him of the bread his father used to make which he always loved to just break off a chunk and eat it.

Jeanna said...

The bread sounds so delish! Loving the plan for your coins quilt, too.