Tuesday, October 22, 2019

The Promised new video

As promised I have recorded and posted the video on how I did the  coloring on fabric for my Island Batik table topper. 


I completely forgot to discuss heat setting.  To heat set your piece after it has dried for 24 hours, use the hottest iron you can use without damaging your fabric. Cover your work with a press cloth (simple muslin or cotton fabric works fine.) Press for at least 20 seconds, moving the iron to avoid scorching.

Here are my notes for your convenience:
Adding color to embellish fabric with Derwent Inktense Pencils
Supplies
·         Inktense pencils
·         Fabric - white or light colors work best - color will affect the final product. Must be organic fabric not synthetic for permanence.
·         Paint Brushes - reasonable quality - not expensive
·         Activator -textile medium or Aloe Vera Gel  (Brands not terribly important)
·         Imagination and a sense of fun

Drawing or Design options
·         Machine embroidery
·         Permanent pen - I like Micron fine point pens
·         Direct drawing with Inktense pencils

Testing colors - until you know what results you get testing is a good idea.  Also test new ideas on a practice piece.
Coloring in the design
        Shading  - more pencil
        Blending - more than one color
Wetting agent
        required for permanency
        types: Water (highly likely to bleed),  Aloe Vera Gel, Textile medium
        Differences  I have noticed: look, brush care,
        Application - using appropriate brush, getting in smaller spaces.
        Option of adding more color while wet
Drying - allow to dry at least 24 hours - it should not be damp at all

Heat setting - After drying, heat set with a hot dry iron using a press cloth to protect your fabric. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

This is a great video, Gene! I wonder, are ink-tense pencils similar to what I know as watercolor pencils? AloVera gel?! Amazing what you did with it. My thought also is that kids could have fun with your instructions. For anyone who watches your video, be sure not to click it Off before you are absolutely certain you’ve seen everything. I never laugh at Gene’s instructional videos, but this one had me *LOL * with the blooper at the end. So glad you posted that, Gene !

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Terrific video, Gene - I learned a lot - and I especially liked the blooper at the end - thanks for including that - too funny! Now if anyone asks what I did this afternoon - I can say that I had wonderful time watching paint dry - LOL - just kidding - it was VERY informative and fun to watch - thanks for sharing - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

Thanks for the demo. It seems like you covered everything quite well. It was also interesting that the aloevera seemed to work the best (and cheaper!)

Quilting Tangent said...

What happens with regular color pencils? Great video, love how the gel brightens and smoothes the colors

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Thanks for the video and the info. I'll watch it in a few weeks, when I have more time.