Thursday, January 12, 2023

Cruising along with the quilting

I am cruising along with the quilting on the quilt from my last post.  I did straight lines in the outside black border for simplicity. I think it makes it look more like a frame around the quilt. 
Then I started quilting in all of the black rectangles. I started with an echoed squiggle design. I started it corner to corner so that I could work easily into the next rectangle diagonally. 

Then I did a line of echoed petals also working from a corner and going diagonally. 
Then I worked with a diagonal line of arcs. For some of them, I switched direction in the center, but that seemed like too much work, so I changed to all the arcs going one direction. Each one ended in the diagonally opposite corner so that I didn't have to break thread. 
The repeating factor in each of these is the curve in the lines. I love using curvy quilting lines when the elements of the quilt are decidedly "square."  I just think it is a nice contrast. 

Finally in the hand dyed border I put pebbles in a row all around the quilt. There are flowers in the corner stones, but I forgot to take photos of those. 

I plan to do a minimalistic quilting design in each of the hand dyed rectangles.  The thing is that I have to figure it out first.  So perhaps I will grab my "doodle pad" (Amazon has it listed as an LCD Writing Tablet.  It was less than $10. It erases with a simple button push.  So I can try again and again. The only downfall is that once erased it is gone forever. When I use paper, the designs remain until I decide to throw them away. 
Here is what I am considering for those rectangles.
You can see the little "trash can" erase button here. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

NICE cruising - looks like you'll be done in no time - ;))

Jeanna said...

Looks nice, Gene. The design on the doodle pad should work well.