Wednesday, February 01, 2023

Baby Quilt Update

The baby quilt is coming along nicely.  Due to the sizes of the pieces of fabric I had in the colors I wanted, I had to make a design change.  Instead of half-square triangles in the corners, I  used more of the four-patch blocks.   The top only needs the borders added to be complete. Then it will be ready to layer and quilt. 

The thing that I decided to do on the applique blocks was to outline them with black just like I do on my face quilts. As there was no batting behind them,  each one was backed with a piece of tearaway/washaway embroidery stabilizer to make sure that the free-motion work didn't cause the fabric to pucker.  That worked really well. 

Here is a closeup of the Red Puppy and you can see how I outlined him.  You may also notice that I missed clipping a "jump thread" where I moved from the tail to the ear.  Just so you know, that has been clipped now. 


Even though the Sunbonnet Sue design was cheater cloth, I did all of the outlines on it also.  That makes it look more like the other applique pieces. 


I am having a great time making this baby quilt. 

Today I stopped by the library to take a quick look at my exhibit.  However, there was a couple there looking. So I introduced myself and offered to answer any questions they might have about my work. 
It was fun to discuss my quilts with them.  A bonus joy was finding out that the man knew my father. Although Dad is no longer with us, I still find people that remember him fondly.  
Yes, it really is a small world after all. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

10 comments:

DVArtist said...

I don't know what cheater cloth is but I love this quilt. Sounds like your exhibit is doing very well. Have a great day today.

Jeanna said...

The baby quilt is adorable, Gene. I like outlining the applique' pieces in black. How nice to meet someone admiring your art and who also remembered your Dad.

Vicki W said...

The quilt is so cute! What a treat to meet someone who knew your Dad!

Barbara said...

Very sweet quilt and and a bitter-sweet post after meeting someone who recalled your Dad.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

The four-patches work well in the corners - I think I like them better than the HST. Outlining the applique in black is a nice touch - I might "borrow" that - haha. How nice to meet someone enjoying your exhibit and who knew your Dad - ;))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice job on the baby quilt. How nice to get to chat about your display, and also to meet someone that knew your father.

Andi said...

The applique outline looks like pencil lines. Very nice touch.

Kathleen said...

Adapting is the way of quilters, isn't it? Love the way it looks and glad puppy's jump thread was trimmed. How nice to meet people at your exhibit and that they knew your father was a lovely bonus.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like your baby quilt. It is so bright and colorful! Baby items used to be pale pastels, but now the "experts" say bright colors are more stimulating to their intellects. Who knows? But yours surely is pretty!

Denise @fortheloveofgeese said...

Adorable Gene and I love the colors and their placement. Thank you for linking up to PYFD.