Tuesday, January 30, 2024

A Bit of Embroidery for a Quilt

Some of my readers have likely decided that I have quit quilting.  This is certainly not true. I have been on a "hiatus" for a while. Life is a bit more interesting these days.  The simple fact is that I am spending a lot more time taking care of Mom because she has become a bit more frail.   I am also taking better care of my body by going to the gym.  With travel to and from the gym, that is approximately two hours each day that I go.   Thus there isn't a lot of time left for creating.   

Then, on Saturday, I was feeling rather sick.  I had a sore throat, a cough and mucus.  Uh oh!  I thought.  I went to the hall closet and got  out a Covid-19 test and used it.  I was so upset with the results - positive.  I had to call my brother and his wife and let them know that I couldn't do my nights staying with Mom for now.  They said "Don't worry, just get well.  Do we need to bring you anything?" 
Yes, I am blessed with good family support.  

Today, I am still "sick" but I felt good enough to work on a project.  This one has been "on hold" for a while.  LOL.  I think it was last seen here in 2021.  If you don't want to click through - here is a pic from that post. 
All of the pieces are from my free motion quilting practice sessions. Of course, I saved all the pieces. 
In 2021, I started assembling them into a quilt. Today I added a row, but didn't get a photo.  
Then I decided "One more row and I can put a binding on it!" 
Of course I don't have quilted pieces for that row, so I am going to start on those. 
You may see an embroidered star on a yellow background in the above photo. 
I decided to repeat that star or maybe a similar one.  What I have accomplished so far is the machine embroidery portion. 
This piece will be layered and quilted along with three to five other pieces to make the row that is needed for the finish!  I have the joining strips cut and ready to go. 
I am actually getting excited about this. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

10 comments:

roentare said...

Your knitting is so unique and special. Good to know that life is busy for you.

Barbara said...

I understand getting excited about a project like this. Especially since you have mastered machine embroidery, it’s exquisite!
So sorry Covid has come visiting. Thankfully, I haven’t had it but I know it can be awful. Take good care!

Kathleen said...

I am sorry you have covid but glad that you felt inspired to do something creative. So glad your family is supportive; you will be back to your schedule soon enough so take care!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, so sorry you were sick. I do cardiac rehab three times a week and I leave at 7:30 and don't get home until 10:30 so I know what you mean about it sucking a lot of time. However, it is worth it in health and stamina.

Valerie-Jael said...

Yes, Civic is still around, I got it for my birthday. Take care, get well!

Valerie-Jael said...

Spellchecker has changed Covid to civic!

DVArtist said...

Ohhh, I am so sorry you have the Vid. I stay way from crowds. Or enclosed places. Please, do everything you are supposed to do and get well. I sure hope your mom doesn't get it. As for the quilt. OMG beautiful. Sending healing energy to you my friend.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Covid, ugh. Your stitching is spot on. Take care of your self.

ellie said...

You are brave to do this while sick. Such beautiful work. I don't know how you see to do it so diligently with being sick. This work does take time.

Vicki W said...

What a great way to use practice pieces! I hope you are fully recovered by now.