Saturday, January 22, 2011

What I bought and A Link you May love

Hi again.   You may remember that I told you about my trip to Mexico. You may also remember that I have FACD (fabric acquistion compulsion disorder) also known as "I want more fabric in my stash."  But I am sure none of you suffer from this. (ha!)    So anywho, while I was in Mexico, I went to the Parisina store(s.)  I actually shopped in three of them, but only bought fabric in one of them.  The fabric is sold by the meter rather than a yard so you get a little extra. NICE, huh?
Knowing that I had limited luggage space for purchases, I only bought three meters. These three:
Oh yes, that picture shows some other "stuff" but I will get to that later.  Do you see how these three fabrics will all work nicely together?  Well, I have no idea if they will end up together but it is possible.
Now the other stuff:  At the top you see my cutting mat (one of them) covered partially with wax paper. The wax paper is to protect it from the Mod Podge (not pictured) that I was using to follow a tutorial over at Tonya's Sewing Room.  I don't have the magnets yet for the back, but I did get the fabric put on back of the gems.
I also used the Mod Podge to put some fabric collage on a round box lid that I had painted and am not happy with. (The box has been sitting for years unfinished!)   So you see both fabric and painted surface there. Still more to do on the rest of the box and perhaps on the lid. I am undecided at this point.

Now about that Link:
My friend and local brilliant artist/quilter, Norma, runs a  couple of blogs. One of them is all about winning stuff. It is called "Quilty Giveaways"    You may remember that I love winning stuff.  In fact, I just won TWO giveaways.
1. From Tonya's Sewing Room I won a $50 gift cert from CNS stores.  So last night I bought a new piece of luggage to replace the piece that got mangled on my trip to Mexico. I spent a whole ninety four cents of my money on it . NICE!!!
2.  From Mary at Quilt Hollow I won the Mix & Match Accuquilt Book.  So don't be surprised if you see a Quilt top made from the book on my blog. 


I hope you are having a GREAT weekend. 


14 comments:

Chartreuse Moose said...

How funny, obviously you have never been tempted to ship your clothes home and pack the new "valuables"!!! Love the new treasures...can't wait to see them put to work with your magic touch!

Petit Design Co. said...

thanks for the shout out Gene. It's gotta feel good to get a replacement suitcase for less than a $1!

Petit Design Co. said...

oh and you're definitely good at winning stuff!

Kaye said...

Nice fabric, spread them out, don't use together, this way they will go further. Thanks for the link from Norma

Barb said...

Oh yes, I am going to come and rub that head of yours for luck.....

Congrats on your wins....love the fabric.

Micki said...

Beautiful fabric and congrats with the wins! Tell me what you think of the book before I buy it.
Micki

Greg said...

Nice fabric, can't wait to see what you do with it! 'Round these here parts we call 'em FARTs.. Fabric Acquisition Road Trips. The Farts are not terminal, and you can do it in public and no one will look at you funny!!

Anonymous said...

I love those fabrics!!!!!!!

Melissa ;-) said...

Gene, you have to take along an empty suitcase for purchases, silly!! Can't wait to see what you do with them and with your new book!

Unknown said...

oh yeah, i haven't forgotten about your sock monkey's.....i'll ship next week sometime

ooglebloops said...

Haha- FACD- you are not alone- and to know it is a "legitimate" disease(!) will make us all feel better, I am sure!!! Lovely fabric.

sewfunquilts said...

Beautiful, Gene. Nice picks. Congrats! on the wins too! Have fun with the book.

Cindy said...

Did you go buy your lottery ticket, Gene?

Anonymous said...

Hope you got a lottery ticket too!